New Insert advise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Midalake

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
UP of MI
I have received GREAT advice here before on my Mansfield years ago. I have ZERO experience with a fireplace opening
Now with a new home purchase, and an old fireplace I need some help to narrow things down. My MAX width is 32" Height and depth no issues.
My local dealer carries the following: Lopi, Hearth Stone, Napoleon, Quadrafire, Fireplace Xtrordinair, Vermont Castings, Fusion, and Blaze King, Installation issues>>>Higher hearth than fire box opening, uneven stone on front. House total: 3000sq/ft.
Goals: low wood consumption, high heat output, blower option, quality! Thanks!

The fireplace floor can be raised with cement board or pavers depending on the heigth increase needed.

Are power outages a concern? Aesthetic concerns?

The fireplace floor can be raised with cement board or pavers depending on the heigth increase needed.

Are power outages a concern? Aesthetic concerns?
Yes on Aesthetic concerns. Have not live here long enough to know power outages, however I think they would be far and few in-between.

I ask because the choice may come down to a flush insert vs one the projects out onto the hearth a bit. Flush inserts in general must have the blower running in order to convect heat well. Inserts that project out on the hearth often heat better without the blower running, like in an outage.

What style appeals more? Contemporary or traditional?

What style appeals more? Contemporary or traditional?
I should mention there is another dealer that carries, Heat & Glo, Heatilator, and RSF.
Also would like to take advantage of this large thermal mass.
[Hearth.com] New Insert advise.

[Hearth.com] New Insert advise.

Is this on an interior or exterior wall? If exterior, the mass may work against the goal.

Then it may be a zero sum gain. Some of the heat will be radiated outside. In this case, an insulated block-off plate in the damper area and insulation behind the insert will be more effective at keeping the heat in the house.

Reactions: Midalake and BKVP
You should also consider an insulated liner in your planning. That too will provide peace of mind and get stack heat loss to a minimum.

BKVP

Reactions: shortys7777
So my dealers are recommending these possibles a Lopi medium flush insert. Ambiance Outlander 19 . Answer NexGen-Fyre™ Insert

Any thoughts??? Thanks.

From that group, the Lopi Medium flush.

So is there any other recommendations for this space before I go with the Lopi?

MAX space size, 35 wide, depth 21, height 26 1/4. Thanks!