New house..new blaze king?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Buying a 2700 square foot, open floor plan single level house.

Plan on putting the stove in the great room, which is rather large and open to the dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and all bedrooms (if the doors are open).

Mainly a softwood burner here... long time wood burner, first house that doesn’t come with a stove already.

Sold on blaze king... leaning toward the king instead of the smaller firebox options... talk me out of it?

Propane is the main fuel source for the central air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure there is a justifiable reason to talk you out of it. When we bought ours this fall I went out to buy a blazeking, but that dealer was closed on the day we went, however the Osburn dealer was open and my girlfriend fell in love with the Matrix, and it didn't help matters they had the display model for $700 off, so we now have an Osburn Matrix in the basement.

I do like that catalytic stoves have less smell when burning however, I sometimes get concerned about the smoke smell from our chimney as we do live in a fairly dense neighborhood and are the only ones with a wood stove.

Why not a wood furnace installed with your propane furnace? Nice even heat throughout the house, I like mine.
If I were to get a wood stove, it would be Blaze King, they seem to be great stoves.

Buying a 2700 square foot, open floor plan single level house.

Plan on putting the stove in the great room, which is rather large and open to the dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and all bedrooms (if the doors are open).

Mainly a softwood burner here... long time wood burner, first house that doesn’t come with a stove already.

Sold on blaze king... leaning toward the king instead of the smaller firebox options... talk me out of it?

Propane is the main fuel source for the central air

The only reason I wouldn't go with a king in your case is looks. I couldn't stand to look at it every day. If you are ok with the looks go for it they are great stoves.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'm not sure there is a justifiable reason to talk you out of it. When we bought ours this fall I went out to buy a blazeking, but that dealer was closed on the day we went, however the Osburn dealer was open and my girlfriend fell in love with the Matrix, and it didn't help matters they had the display model for $700 off, so we now have an Osburn Matrix in the basement.

I do like that catalytic stoves have less smell when burning however, I sometimes get concerned about the smoke smell from our chimney as we do live in a fairly dense neighborhood and are the only ones with a wood stove.
I haven't noticed any more or less smell outside after switching to a cat stove. There is a slight smell inside though

Reactions: Woody Stover
King model uses a goofy 8” flue but will not be too big for your home.

My princess is eating softwood right now.

King model uses a goofy 8” flue but will not be too big for your home.

My princess is eating softwood right now.

Thanks for the input guys.

Luckily this is a clean slate install. No stove, no chimney, fresh canvas to do what I want. My only worry was overkill...but from what I’m reading, that won’t be an issue if I can turn her down..

You can turn the king down farther than most any other stove except some of the smaller bk stoves. Your house is huge, you won’t need to dance on the low edge.

Reactions: Dustin
As I research more, I have more questions!

Wife doesn’t mind the utilitarian look of the blaze king, so, thank god. I don’t need to worry about fancy legs or doors. I’m not, and never have been a fan of ash pans. Some may have had better luck, but I haven’t. Always seemed to have gasket and issues with the pan.

Annnyywaay, this will be a free standing install (king model). I like having a fan on the stove to move some air around. With a fan, is the convection deck required? Or, does the fan still function without one?

Thanks!

I haven't noticed any more or less smell outside after switching to a cat stove. There is a slight smell inside though
Interesting. What smell you speak of?

Interesting. What smell you speak of?
Creosote smell. Not strong but it's there when I never had it with any other stove

Creosote smell. Not strong but it's there when I never had it with any other stove
You mean outside, not in the house.

In the house not outside at all
Interesting. I used to get this sweet creo smell with my VC 0028 on a super low burn on occasion. Zero with the 2550 and the Princess.

Interesting. I used to get this sweet creo smell with my VC 0028 on a super low burn on occasion. Zero with the 2550 and the Princess.
It isn't bad but it's there slightly

As I research more, I have more questions!

Wife doesn’t mind the utilitarian look of the blaze king, so, thank god. I don’t need to worry about fancy legs or doors. I’m not, and never have been a fan of ash pans. Some may have had better luck, but I haven’t. Always seemed to have gasket and issues with the pan.

Annnyywaay, this will be a free standing install (king model). I like having a fan on the stove to move some air around. With a fan, is the convection deck required? Or, does the fan still function without one?

Thanks!

The ash pan is not the gasketed door style, it’s a plug in the firebox floor style that can just be ignored if you’d like.

The convection deck is not required for the blowers but in the past, the convection deck was always part of the king and not optional. The fans work better with a convection deck.

The convection deck is necessary (and included with all King and Princess models) for mounting of the fans on the KE40. We just started shipping the KE40's. Dealers may also have deals on the KE1107. The 1107 Ultra had a convection deck permanently attached, the fans hooked to it. On the Classic and Parlor versions of the 1107, the fan hooked to the blower exhaust, which is standard on all KE1107 Clssic and Parlor models.

And before anyone asks, The KE1107 Ultra had the permanently attached convection deck in order to pass the ceiling temps required int he mobile home test.

And to all of you....Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Highbeam and Dustin
A king sounds perfect to me. Don’t worry about it being to big. I have one in a 1000 square foot cabin, the heat output is so controllable. I can run it when it’s 40 out to take the chill off or turn it up when it’s cold. Today’s 26 snowing with high winds a toasty 78 inside. Love this stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
I think the King is the way to go if you are really going with a fresh install and you want it to be in the great room on display and you want to bring wood in through the living area. However, if you are looking to distribute heat evenly, and your basement has the ductwork already (Must be metal) you may be a better candidate to go with a wood furnace. The stars need to align with that kind of setup though. A vaporfire by Kuuma is not cheap, and they require specific draft requirements, and add to that, you would need a good access point to get wood in and out of the basement... but when they work, man from what I hear on this board, they work great.

This is not to detract from the BlazeKing. If i could go back in time, I would have spend the extra $1K to get a BK Princess for my house instead of my Osburn, purely because of its burn times. So you really need to take into consideration the two most important things.
1. What does your wife want
2. Whats your preferred method of getting wood in and out to your heat source.

After that, its up to you which route you go since you are going to be doing a virgin install

Thanks all!! And thanks BKVP and highbeam for the convection deck info. I’ll be ordering mine with fans. Also, I’ll add an OAK because.. why not?

This install will be going in next fall. I’m thinking it’s unlikely I’ll be getting my hands on the 1107 at that point.

My house is single level. No basement to worry about. Thinking I’ll stick with a stove over a wood furnace.

Propane fueled furnace +propane water heaters+propane cook tops + stove + whole home backup generator.. I should be OK if the power goes down for awhile.

As soon as we move in, I’ll post some photos of the current corner installed fireplace that will go bye bye and have the stove in its place. I’m considering tackling the project of building my own pretty stone hearth. Anyone here done that? Bad idea? I’m no engineer but I know my way around a tape measure and various tools...

I think the King is the way to go if you are really going with a fresh install and you want it to be in the great room on display and you want to bring wood in through the living area. However, if you are looking to distribute heat evenly, and your basement has the ductwork already (Must be metal) you may be a better candidate to go with a wood furnace. The stars need to align with that kind of setup though. A vaporfire by Kuuma is not cheap, and they require specific draft requirements, and add to that, you would need a good access point to get wood in and out of the basement... but when they work, man from what I hear on this board, they work great.

This is not to detract from the BlazeKing. If i could go back in time, I would have spend the extra $1K to get a BK Princess for my house instead of my Osburn, purely because of its burn times. So you really need to take into consideration the two most important things.
1. What does your wife want
2. Whats your preferred method of getting wood in and out to your heat source.

After that, its up to you which route you go since you are going to be doing a virgin install

Wood furnaces are nice in huge sprawling homes because the heat is ducted for more even temperatures. The problem is that they all have very short burn times and only one very expensive furnace with no window has even been approved for sale soon. Efficiency is only as good as a noncat stove or worse after you consider duct losses.