New homeowner with a chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewbacca

Oct 26, 2021
Minnesota
Hey everyone. New homeowner and first time having a fireplace. I had the chimney inspected and cleaned for the coming winter, but forgot to ask about these vents on the sides of the chimney. The previous homeowners stuffed them foam to, I assume, prevent cold air from coming in. Is it imperative to keep the vents open when having a fire? Does anyone know what these are actually used for? Thanks!

New homeowner with a chimney question New homeowner with a chimney question

What does it look like on the fireplace side? Is there a corresponding fresh air tube or hole in the fireplace near the bottom? It's not imperative to open the cold air vent unless this is the sole source of air, but it will help reduce the amount of air from the house that the fireplace sucks from the house for combustion.

What does it look like on the fireplace side? Is there a corresponding fresh air tube or hole in the fireplace near the bottom? It's not imperative to open the cold air vent unless this is the sole source of air, but it will help reduce the amount of air from the house that the fireplace sucks from the house for combustion.
Holes more so on the sides inside of the fireplace (left and right) that can be opened. Would it be safe to keep the foam in place? Is it not good to use the air from the house to aid in the combustion?

Pics of fireplace, would be a good idea here.

Welcome to the Forums !!!

Pics of fireplace, would be a good idea here.

Welcome to the Forums !!!

Sorry for the delay. Shots of my fireplace. There’s the small openings on the left and right side, and the slide that sounds like something is opening and closing on the sides but I can’t confirm that for sure.

New homeowner with a chimney question New homeowner with a chimney question New homeowner with a chimney question New homeowner with a chimney question