New homeowner question re inspection and estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jk47nycmd

Dec 18, 2013
New York
Hello, I am a new first time homeowner and within a few months of moving in to my house (built in 1915), I had a the chimney swept by a CSIA listed company and they didn't raise any issues with the masonry fireplace but did make a complete mess of my first floor-- there was soot everywhere that we spent the day cleaning up. In any event, my wife thought it made sense to have another company come out and take a look and do an inspection to make sure the fireplace was safe. I scheduled the appointment but in the meantime tested the chimney with some incense first and then a small fire followed by a couple larger fires. The smoke went up the chimney and all seemed to be in order. Just had the inspection and the inspector said I have some holes in some spots (images below) and he recommended "smoketite" at a cost of 1275 plus a cement gap at lintel for 250. I have no clue whether any of this is necessary, and plan on having a second opinion, but wondered if any of you experts had any thoughts based on the attached images. Also, he recommended completely changing my dryer vent and doing some video inspection to reline the natural gas boiler flue -- his description of the issue on that flue was "gas flue 4" 76,000, 7" 245,000 is not lined at base must be video scanned for relining. Not safe to use." He didn't give me an image for this one. Thoughts comments etc very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] New homeowner question re inspection and estimate
    image.webp
    232 KB · Views: 160
    image.webp
    145.8 KB · Views: 162
    image.webp
    232 KB · Views: 159
If it is your intent to keep this and use as a fireplace I would continue on with the second opinion. It does appear that there is some weak points in your chimney setup, but I won't even speculate to what degree. It needs professional eyes on it.

Can I assume that the fireplace is just occasional ambiance? Being new to homeownership - many folks don't realize that most fireplaces are a net energy looser.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, really an ambiance thing as I realize it is a heat loser. Would it make a difference if I considered a wood fireplace insert? I realize from a heat standpoint it would but would it mitigate or avoid any issue with the gaps identified in the images. Or do I have to get that corrected under any scenario? Thanks!
If it is your intent to keep this and use as a fireplace I would continue on with the second opinion. It does appear that there is some weak points in your chimney setup, but I won't even speculate to what degree. It needs professional eyes on it.

Can I assume that the fireplace is just occasional ambiance? Being new to homeownership - many folks don't realize that most fireplaces are a net energy looser.
reply.

Old chimneys need a lot of upgrades to keep them safe if they have not been maintained well in the past. It would be wise to have the video (level 3) inspection done to make sure everything is ok and another opinion. I had it done on my 1950's chimney and they found issues that had to be fixed.

Not sure where in NY you are but have you talked to these guys yet? http://www.hudsonvalleychimney.com/

Or do I have to get that corrected under any scenario? Thanks!

reply.

Depends - if you go with a simple liner you will still need to have any "breach" of the chimney fixed first. Insulated liners are pretty much a stand alone system. I would still get a pro second opinion. No matter which direction you go, if it were me - I would want the piece of mind that I am starting with a chimney that is in good shape.

Depends - if you go with a simple liner you will still need to have any "breach" of the chimney fixed first. Insulated liners are pretty much a stand alone system. I would still get a pro second opinion. No matter which direction you go, if it were me - I would want the piece of mind that I am starting with a chimney that is in good shape.
Thanks. Sounds like the right path. I will see what the second opinion is and report back.

Old chimneys need a lot of upgrades to keep them safe if they have not been maintained well in the past. It would be wise to have the video (level 3) inspection done to make sure everything is ok and another opinion. I had it done on my 1950's chimney and they found issues that had to be fixed.

Not sure where in NY you are but have you talked to these guys yet? http://www.hudsonvalleychimney.com/
Westchester county. Had not talked to then-- assuming you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.