New home, several questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

96P993

Nov 6, 2017
Butte, MT
We just bought a house with a wood burning stove on the main floor and a fireplace in the basement...I am hoping to get some help on our setup since I have never really seen anything like what we have. I know I have 2 separate chimneys for the upstairs and downstairs, but not sure how the stove upstairs is set up. As you can see from the picture the stove isnt quite an insert but certainly not freestanding. The stove sits on a raised hearth and is actually mortared into the stove...I am hoping someone can answer a couple questions for me on the stove and this type of set up. Can anyone tell me who makes the stove? I know its not the best picture for identifying and I can get more but just wanted to ask. The front of the door has 2 tiles resting in a cubby bolted to the door itself. I have a fan on the bottom the flows hot air out of the 2 side ports. Im just hoping to get a better understanding of the unit itself. My GF HATES the fact there is no "window" on the door, has anyone retrofitted a window in a door?

Opposed to an insert Im guessing the outlet to the chimney is on the backside of the stove but could be wrong. I am trying to decide if I want to buy a new stove but again just not sure I know enough about this install to make an educated decision...

New home, several questions...

Last edited by a moderator:
From the looks of the insert, it doesn’t appear to me mortared in place. Considering it’s age, it’s most likely just slid into the Fireplace. It should have a stainless steel liner from the stove top all the way to the top of the chimney. It likely does not.
Adding glass is not going to be an option.

You should call a CSIA certified chimney sweep to take a look. Even if you decide to replace it you still need to have the whole Fireplace cleaned. Most sweeps won’t want to clean the Fireplace and then re install that insert.

Reactions: bholler