New home future setups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Sold the old house and sold my firewood stash for 1200$ while leaving new tenants with 2 winters covered! Good bye nc30 you were a beast of a heater!
So we are building a new home 2x6 construction ranch just shy of 2k sq ft. We are going with a heat pump and propane furnace for now and see how the newer construction does before commiting to either pellet/wood. The land we are on is 10 acres of woods which we cut a 3/4 acre clearing. What im wondering is would you guys recommend running thimbles/or ceiling box where your future wood/pellet appliances would be? Figure its gotta be easier when in framing stages so why not.
Planning for the living room to be a pellet setup and the garage will have a wood stove setup (cleared by insurance and i about crapped my pants)
Reason for supplementing with pellets in main area is we have a one year old and more to come. I just dont see myself being near as dedicated to c/s/s as i was! I was addicted but my son has changed that mind state for now. I really like the idea of spending more time with them vs being 4-5 years ahead like i was. Which was a damn good feeling i might add.
So would you guys say install future hook ups now or do it when the time comes? What say you

What im wondering is would you guys recommend running thimbles/or ceiling box where your future wood/pellet appliances would be?

I would NOT do it now. I would certainly frame for it, meaning, directly above the centerline of the hearth I would make sure that there is a joist space. You don't even know what type of burner you'll be using, if you will be burning, or what new technology might require. The ceiling boxes are meant to be installed in a finished ceiling.

I've spent (wasted) lots of money installing things for the future that were never used. Thousands of dollars in material wasted. For example, the radiant floor tubing in my 1800 SF garage slab unused.

Considering you are not sure what is going in, I'd wait. Otherwise the location may be off and offsets needed to make it right. Plan for it and document the rafter locations if going straight up. The exception might be if the location will be hard to get to once the place is finished.

Reactions: tjcole50
Avoid ductwork, wiring, plumbing, light fixtures, and framing in the area above the center of the hearth and the back wall of the future hearth.

All valid points. I will being taking pictures like mad during all phases for future projects. Anyone move from wood to pellets in their living room area and regret it? Im thinking nights/weekend burns. Sounds stupid as i have my dream of my own land to cut on but our one year old really changed the game on me in a good way

In about 2-3 years your 1 year old will be ready to help dad stack some splits. Don't give up on wood burning just yet!

In about 2-3 years your 1 year old will be ready to help dad stack some splits. Don't give up on wood burning just yet!
Very true, my 2 1/2 year old takes his toy chainsaw out too our woodpile and "cuts wood". He also helps me stack it, or so he says. Either way he loves working around the wood with me and calls it his wood.

New home future setups
Ok further discussion i told her i think this temporary apartment took away her appreciatation of a ripping fire! But the bad news she found a pic and wants me to do this over a tile/rock backing. Has me a little nervous. Of course i would adhere to minimum clearances but does this thing just scream unsafe to you guys? Its the "look" shes after with the rest of our open concept

Wood is ok behind a stove as long as clearances are honored. Hard to say from the picture but it looks like the ceiling support box is darn tight to the wall and if that is single-wall stove pipe then it is much too close. Not sure about the stove clearances.

Reactions: Highbeam
You might look at porcelain flooring tiles that look like wood. Maybe