New here new to wood stoves ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourwindsranch

Hearth Supporter
I'm located in central Oklahoma where we haven't needed heat yet.... Have a "new" used stove "Gatling" brand. Couldn't find much about it on the net. Working on getting pipe installed. Have the stove cleaned off and re-blacked so it looks pretty.

Stove will be installed where the floor is uncovered concrete and the walls 5' up are cement block then wood to the ceiling. Do I need to protect the concrete floor...there is no paint or floor covering of any type.

I see comments about free wood burning best and I was able to get a fair amount of wood from the power company clear cutting under the lines in front of my property. Mostly Elm. A friend gifted me with some seasoned wood that is mostly Oak and Persimmon.

I have 160 acres with lots of wooded area including pecan and oak. Don't have a splitter and don't feel comfortable felling trees or cutting more than limbs w/ chainsaw. What would be the thoughts on working out a deal with someone who did to split the wood for work.

Michelle who hasn't dealt with a wood stove since I was a kid....

Hi Michelle,

welcome to the Hearth forum.

Do you live near Altus or Enid?

As I remember those places were cold in the winter when the wind blew.

You all shouldn't have cut down those wind breaking trees. :)

Our stove sits upon a brick hearth that sits upon a concrete slab floor.

We have been burning 30 years & still haven't been able to burn the house down. :lol:

Looking forward to your pics.

Welcome to the forum Michelle. You should be able to find someone who will be willing to drop off a load to you for every load they take off your property..

Your concrete floor will be perfectly fine as it is.

I would think you could trade some wood for someone to fell and buck those trees, though if you are comfortable limbing, eventually you'll find bucking [cutting the trunk into stove lengths] to be no big deal. Felling is something that can kill you so I agree get someone to do it or train you.

I used to have a 102-yr.-old woman next door [half mile away is next door up here] and for years I would cut wood on her property and give her a lot of it [she only heated with wood]. I'd have cut it down and given it to her for nothing but she felt better "trading" for my labor. You should have no trouble finding someone who needs wood, has a saw, perhaps even a splitter, and willing to get his or her own supply from your land in return for giving you however much you want. You might have to stack it yourself!

Concrete floor: Typically installs on concrete floors are no problem . . . just be sure that you have plenty of clearance from other combustibles (i.e. any throw rugs, nearby furniture, walls, etc.)

Wood for work: You might have some luck here . . . I would suspect the deal might be one load for you, one load for them . . . however, you might either get the wood in tree length, four foot lengths or cut to stove-length . . . I would suspect that most folks would not be willing to cut and split the wood.

[quote author="Dave_1" date="1257911432"]Hi Michelle,

welcome to the Hearth forum.
Thanks

Do you live near Altus or Enid?

Neither actually I'm not far from I-40 and about an hour east of Oklahoma City Does get windy here.

As I remember those places were cold in the winter when the wind blew.

SteveKG said:
Your concrete floor will be perfectly fine as it is. Good I didn't want to have to mess with protecting the floor

I would think you could trade some wood for someone to fell and buck those trees, though if you are comfortable limbing, eventually you'll find bucking [cutting the trunk into stove lengths] to be no big deal. Felling is something that can kill you so I agree get someone to do it or train you.

Thanks....I don't know if I ever need to fell trees...

I used to have a 102-yr.-old woman next door [half mile away is next door up here] and for years I would cut wood on her property and give her a lot of it [she only heated with wood]. I'd have cut it down and given it to her for nothing but she felt better "trading" for my labor. You should have no trouble finding someone who needs wood, has a saw, perhaps even a splitter, and willing to get his or her own supply from your land in return for giving you however much you want. You might have to stack it yourself!

You know it is illegal to burn Pecan wood? :wow:

Unless its in a smoker with Brisket & Ribs...... ;-P

I lived in South Central Oklahoma (Ardmore area) for two years. Man, great people, great food and I was surprised at all the people who heated there homes with Wood. I had 3 native pecan trees in my yard and a bunch of Osage Orange trees (Bowdart)

With all the ice storms you had, you shouldn't have problems with finding downed trees on your property.

Cheers, Hiram

Hiram Maxim said:

I guess I'm in trouble then, I've got a half face cord of pecan split up for kindling

wendell said:
Hiram Maxim said:

I guess I'm in trouble then, I've got a half face cord of pecan split up for kindling
Wendell,

I had no idea that pecan could grow this far North?

And yes unless its going in a smoker, that lovely sweet sweet wood is illegal to burn :cheese:

Madison is a very magical place!

Actually, I got a truck load of reject boards for free from a hardwood lumbar yard.

lucky you! Try some on the grill next time!

By the way your Fireview looks F A N tastic

Cheers,Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.