New guy looking for some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

traumajunkie

Oct 24, 2018
Eden, NC
Hey guys new to the forum, we bought a house last year that has a interior chimney, now there is no fire place it is literally a block of brick with a hole in it (see pic). I am unsure if the chimney is usable or not, I know there was a roof leak due to a crack in the flue?? I put a chimney cap on and have not had any issues. I believe at one time there was a wood stove connected which is what we want however the biggest issue I have found is that the hole in the brick is 23 inches from the floor and almost all the stoves now days have the exhaust outlet on the top of the unit which is well over the 23 inches. Now what do I do, do I patch the old hole and cut a new hole in the chimney? Do I tear out the chimney and rebuild it? Or do I run pipe from the wood stove straight through the ceiling ? I am sorry for all the questions but I have so many questions! Where I live there is no chimney repair and if they are willing to come out it is about 500 just for the trip out not including labor.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• New guy looking for some advice
    56212726601__111BDA50-1651-4C76-8C11-D7655EFC3139.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 92
Hey guys new to the forum, we bought a house last year that has a interior chimney, now there is no fire place it is literally a block of brick with a hole in it (see pic). I am unsure if the chimney is usable or not, I know there was a roof leak due to a crack in the flue?? I put a chimney cap on and have not had any issues. I believe at one time there was a wood stove connected which is what we want however the biggest issue I have found is that the hole in the brick is 23 inches from the floor and almost all the stoves now days have the exhaust outlet on the top of the unit which is well over the 23 inches. Now what do I do, do I patch the old hole and cut a new hole in the chimney? Do I tear out the chimney and rebuild it? Or do I run pipe from the wood stove straight through the ceiling ? I am sorry for all the questions but I have so many questions! Where I live there is no chimney repair and if they are willing to come out it is about 500 just for the trip out not including labor.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the chimney will have to be repaired or at least inspected regardless. I just got a new stove installed and I know that the length of the pipe coming out of the stove to the elbow going into the wall (chimney in your case) has to be a certain height depending on which stove you get..
So if you were going to do it yourself which obviously isn’t recommended you would most likely have to re drill the hole higher. If you’re going to have to pay regardless it might be cheaper to remove, seal, or hide the chimney yourself and just have a stove properly installed with a pipe. How high is your ceiling? Do you know what type of stove you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance
Yikesssssss.,,,.... There's no way a wood stove should be put in that space, for too many reasons !!

Reactions: miller.rob91
Sounds like the chimney will have to be repaired or at least inspected regardless. I just got a new stove installed and I know that the length of the pipe coming out of the stove to the elbow going into the wall (chimney in your case) has to be a certain height depending on which stove you get..
So if you were going to do it yourself which obviously isn’t recommended you would most likely have to re drill the hole higher. If you’re going to have to pay regardless it might be cheaper to remove, seal, or hide the chimney yourself and just have a stove properly installed with a pipe. How high is your ceiling? Do you know what type of stove you want?

Thank you for the reply, we are undecided between a wood stove or a pellet stove. I read on one forum if we do a pellet stove with a 3 inch pipe we could just run the pipe down the chimney but that does not sound safe. Brand wise we have been looking at a englander or fisher

It could work minus the furniture and chimney [emoji91][emoji91]

No those pieces are not staying there, I am a paramedic and we run tons of house fires due to wood stove safety. I had just put down new wood floor when that pic was taken and all the stuff was pushed to that side of the room.

It could work minus the furniture and chimney [emoji91][emoji91]

And floor protection...
Sorry if I came off harsh, did,not mean too..
Just from the picture and question, it seemed like the OP wanted to just stick a stove in there..

And floor protection...
Sorry if I came off harsh, did,not mean too..
Just from the picture and question, it seemed like you wanted to just stick a stove in there..

Its understandable, since that picture we cut up a section of the wood floor and have laid brick 4ft w by 3ft h

Thank you for the reply, we are undecided between a wood stove or a pellet stove. I read on one forum if we do a pellet stove with a 3 inch pipe we could just run the pipe down the chimney but that does not sound safe. Brand wise we have been looking at a englander or fisher
Why a fisher?

No those pieces are not staying there, I am a paramedic and we run tons of house fires due to wood stove safety. I had just put down new wood floor when that pic was taken and all the stuff was pushed to that side of the room.

I figured I was just kidding Around. As far as safety goes I wouldn’t trust that chimney as is but that’s just me. If you want to go the pellet stove route there are two ways technically three you can do it. If you fix the chimney see first pic if you get rid of it see second.
New guy looking for some advice

I have read good things about the quality and life of the unit, but any suggestions are apprectiated
A modern stove that will burn cleanly give you reduced clearances and use much less wood. There are many good ones to choose from. As far as the chimney goes you will probably need to put a new liner in there

Last edited:
Moving the crick up is no big deal. But cutting a new hole in the clay liner without cracking it is pretty tricky. And regardless you prob as bly dont have the required 2" of clearance around the chimney so an insulated liner would be needed