New Garn Barn Wish List

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
I have been listing out what I need:

Insulated concrete slab
Walls/Roof - probably use SIP's.
Entry Door and window
Large door for moving wood in, insulated garage door
Floor drain
Electrical supply - sub pane
Trench entry for piping
Lean to on southern aspect for secondary wood storage

Just wondered, for those who have been there is there anything you would change?

Did you order a Garn? I will be getting my 1500 very soon

Como said:
I have been listing out what I need:

Insulated concrete slab
Walls/Roof - probably use SIP's.
Entry Door and window
Large door for moving wood in, insulated garage door
Floor drain
Electrical supply - sub pane
Trench entry for piping
Lean to on southern aspect for secondary wood storage

Just wondered, for those who have been there is there anything you would change?

Everything looks good and I can't think of anything else to add. Just a thought on the floor drain. Keep it away from where your going to place your wood as it would fill up with dirt and bark quickly.

I have not ordered yet, going for the 2000's.

I have had the design done, a few small thing to clarify and have had contractors around to look at the install.

The major issue is really feeding the pex through the building. I have somebody locally to help me do that, leave the plumbing bit to the pros.

Just about finished the Garn Barn design, then need to get it priced. My working 'plan' is a bit scruffy, I will tidy it up and post here.

My idea is to get the internal stuff started asap, the Garns are sort of an add on, we could use the propane system immediately.

Como said:
I have not ordered yet, going for the 2000's.

I have had the design done, a few small thing to clarify and have had contractors around to look at the install.

The major issue is really feeding the pex through the building. I have somebody locally to help me do that, leave the plumbing bit to the pros.

Just about finished the Garn Barn design, then need to get it priced. My working 'plan' is a bit scruffy, I will tidy it up and post here.

My idea is to get the internal stuff started asap, the Garns are sort of an add on, we could use the propane system immediately.

Dave, it would help to have a piping plan for the Garn when you install the propane system so that you can put the required tees, isolation valves, and control/pumping relays as necessary so the addition of the Garn at a later date goes easily.

Dave, it would help to have a piping plan for the Garn when you install the propane system so that you can put the required tees, isolation valves, and control/pumping relays as necessary so the addition of the Garn at a later date goes easily.

I had a look at your blog, very nice and interesting. I noticed the white stuff, will not be long before it is here again.

I have asked for pricing on SIPS, despite the cocoon around the Garn, having the whole building insulated seems logical.

Do you rely on the building being heated by the Garn being operational or do you have back up?

I want to keep the building reasonably close, I do not want a long trek when the wind is howling etc. So about 40ft away. Downwind.

Our design had the heat exchanger in the Garn Barn, the pumps etc are in the building. I get the impression that it is more common to have the heat exchanger in the building?

Basically there would be a bypass if the Garn is not online on time, I just lit our wood stove....

David

Dave, I will have the Garn heating my workshop and my house. I do not plan to burn any propane other than when we leave for a week or two in the winter. I have a boiler in the house and also one in the workshop for those times. The boilers will be switched to not fire when we are home.

It has always been recommended to me to place the heat exchanger at the destination rather than the source.

Sawyer,I asked taco about hx placement, basically it depends on distance, difference in elevation between hx and boiler and elevation above sealevel. They stated given the choice , th hx should be near the unpressureized boiler, 1, limiting the net pressure suction head issue of a long piping run, 2 compounded if you live at a high elev above sealevel, 3 a longer run if pressureized requires less pump because it does no have to overcome elevation changes in the loop only pipe, hx and fitting resistance. I think heaterman installs this way.

TCaldwell said:
Sawyer,I asked taco about hx placement, basically it depends on distance, difference in elevation between hx and boiler and elevation above sealevel. They stated given the choice , th hx should be near the unpressureized boiler, 1, limiting the net pressure suction head issue of a long piping run, 2 compounded if you live at a high elev above sealevel, 3 a longer run if pressureized requires less pump because it does no have to overcome elevation changes in the loop only pipe, hx and fitting resistance. I think heaterman installs this way.

Thanks for the "heads up" Tom, I will check again before I install the HX. Is your HX by your Garn? This may help on my long run and also the underground would contain antifreeze and I would not have to back-feed that run when I am on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.