New Chimney Install - Class A a Must?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

grancasa

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Brookfield, VT
Hi all,

I am getting ready to put an old King 628 wood-stove (see here) into a 12' x 14' cabin to provide heat for fall and spring use. Cabin is uninsulated at this time. I am living on the land but am not the owner of the cabin.

The original builder of the home, a great neighbor, is a source of a lot of info for the owner. He came by yesterday and recommended going out the wall and up the side, using all stovepipe, cutting a 2' x 2' piece out of the wall and replacing with steel sheets (sandwiching some type of cement board maybe). He has run this type of setup a number of years and is comfortable with it for a short term, shoulder season, inexpensive option. We are burning hardwood (mostly ash) seasoned for two years, and would upgrade the chimney down the road if the cabin was made ready for 4 season use.

This seems unsafe based on my readings here, but I wanted some more feedback, and any thoughts on other inexpensive ways to install this stove.

The cabin has 10' walls and a 16' roof peak, sheet-metal roof, and a loft at 10'high which takes up half the room (12' x'7). Seems like cheapest safe install would be not under the loft, straight up with stovepipe and then through with Class A'.

Thanks for all your help.

IMHO it's a must. Your solution sounds better than the neighbors.

jeeper said:
IMHO it's a must. Your solution sounds better than the neighbors.

Especially since you'll be sleeping there and not the neighbor...

It sounds like a nice cabin and worth investing in a proper flue setup. It will be safer, easy to clean and will last a lot longer.

If you go your way.... make sure you get a few good smoke detectors (both types of detectors), and some CO detectors while you're out.
and maybe one of those "in case of emergency" axe things next to your bed (preferably close to a window).
Maybe install a sprinkler system too while you're at it?
and make sure you sleep in full firefighting gear.

Then I think you'll be pretty safe.
Or else just run some Chimney pipe.

Either way you should be good.
I prefer the Chimney pipe method myself.

I wanted to do something like this in my shed...
But then I thought about how inexpensive chimney pipe is in the grand scheme of things. (IE, your life)

grancasa said:
Hi all,

...I am living on the land but am not the owner of the cabin.

...Seems like cheapest safe install would be not under the loft, straight up with stovepipe and then through with Class A'.

Your solution is the best since it is property of another.

If all clearance to combustibles were met I MAY consider one of these style chimneys if it were used for 1 or 2 weekends a year and the chimney were dismantled after each use.

However, there is no way I would recommend something like this for more frequent use. Just too many ways for there to be trouble with a setup like this.

pen

Hass said:
If you go your way.... make sure you get a few good smoke detectors (both types of detectors), and some CO detectors while you're out.
and maybe one of those "in case of emergency" axe things next to your bed (preferably close to a window).
Maybe install a sprinkler system too while you're at it?
and make sure you sleep in full firefighting gear.

Then I think you'll be pretty safe.

LOL just a few things needed to be safe ......

Straight up with stovepipe and out with class A seems like the best idea. It will keep the flue warm inside the building creating a better draft with no cold air condensation and the class A insulated will better protect the flue exiting the roof. Do it right the first time and sleep without the firemans suit.

grancasa said:
Hi all,

I am getting ready to put an old King 628 wood-stove (see here) into a 12' x 14' cabin to provide heat for fall and spring use. Cabin is uninsulated at this time. I am living on the land but am not the owner of the cabin.

The original builder of the home, a great neighbor, is a source of a lot of info for the owner. He came by yesterday and recommended going out the wall and up the side, using all stovepipe, cutting a 2' x 2' piece out of the wall and replacing with steel sheets (sandwiching some type of cement board maybe). He has run this type of setup a number of years and is comfortable with it for a short term, shoulder season, inexpensive option. We are burning hardwood (mostly ash) seasoned for two years, and would upgrade the chimney down the road if the cabin was made ready for 4 season use.

This seems unsafe based on my readings here, but I wanted some more feedback, and any thoughts on other inexpensive ways to install this stove.

The cabin has 10' walls and a 16' roof peak, sheet-metal roof, and a loft at 10'high which takes up half the room (12' x'7). Seems like cheapest safe install would be not under the loft, straight up with stovepipe and then through with Class A'.

It may not be your cabin, but it's your life . . . I personally would play it safe and go with Class A . . . see if the owner of the cabin might spring for part of the cost since it would benefit him in the long run.

While it's tempting to take the easy and cheap route and justify it by saying it's only for a short time, temporary, etc. the truth is it only takes one out of control fire to burn the place down or kill you . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.