New Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laecp

Jan 14, 2020
Southwest CT
New Castine in the Brown Enamel just installed. Did the three break in fires. Stove runs great. Using 5-7 year old wood but not much left. Stove gets to 500 degrees quick but doesn't last there unless filled up again. My first stove, will take some practice. Shutting air down gets the upper air holes shooting flames, pretty cool. I have to learn how to fit more wood so burn will last longer but I will enjoy practicing. Put stove in my den in basement after it took me a few months to paint, new floor and new stone over brick etc. House projects always seem to escalate. Me and my wife are exhausted and love relaxing by the stove. Room is about 600 sf with small staircase to main floor. Leaving door open air will hopefully get warm air upstairs but need to experiment. I have been reading this site for two months doing research and just wanted to thank all the posters for help. There is a wealth of info on here and I appreciate all of the posters.

Attachments

• New Castine
    IMG_1648.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 127
  • New Castine
    IMG_1649.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 148
  • New Castine
    IMG_1650.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 132
Looks great, you'll get longer burns once you get the hang of it.

Looks great! The Castine is one of the nicest looking stoves available. The stove is a willing heater. Ours normally ran between 650 and 700º.

We had one several years ago. On a cold start, don't go by stovetop temperature for closing down the air. Go by visuals. It takes a while for the mass of cast iron to heat up, but the firebox can already be hot enough for secondary combustion to begin. I normally would be moving the air to around 50% with a 250º stovetop. Close the air down until the flames start getting lazy, but not out. Watch for secondary combustion to start and then turn it down some more until the flames get lazy again and secondary combustion gets robust. This will extend the burn time. On our stove we normally ran it with about 10% air until it was below freezing outside. Then we could often close the air control all the way.

Very nice. I like the clear front, didn’t think I would. If/ when you run out of dry wood I suggest bio bricks. I burned 10 packets last year and the worked really well for longer burns.

New Castine in the Brown Enamel just installed. Did the three break in fires. Stove runs great. Using 5-7 year old wood but not much left. Stove gets to 500 degrees quick but doesn't last there unless filled up again. My first stove, will take some practice. Shutting air down gets the upper air holes shooting flames, pretty cool. I have to learn how to fit more wood so burn will last longer but I will enjoy practicing. Put stove in my den in basement after it took me a few months to paint, new floor and new stone over brick etc. House projects always seem to escalate. Me and my wife are exhausted and love relaxing by the stove. Room is about 600 sf with small staircase to main floor. Leaving door open air will hopefully get warm air upstairs but need to experiment. I have been reading this site for two months doing research and just wanted to thank all the posters for help. There is a wealth of info on here and I appreciate all of the posters.

Very nice room and a great stove! Mine is 12 years old, well used, and I have no complaints.