New Blaze King- King for 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Galt

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2019
W Montana
I'm currently building our new home so we've been out looking, again, for stoves. This has been going on for three years, generally winters when I need a break from the other research. I was really interested in the Woodstock Progress since the burn times were ok and it's really nice looking plus all of the great comments here pushed me in that direction. I wanted a reliable overnight burn using Fir which limited the available stoves. The price was more than a Blaze King so I was trading some burn time for beauty.

I finally called to get a quote on shipping. Oops, $1000. Back to Blaze King.

The last time I was in, the sales guy mentioned the King couldn't pass the new EPA specs so they wouldn't be able to sell them beyond May 2020. The EPA site confirms this so I sent an email to BK and was told the new stove ( KE40 ) has passed and the old model is no longer in production. Has anyone heard anything about this new one?

I don't think we have any user reviews yet, but BK was way ahead of the game compared to much of the industry, and their 2020 stoves seem barely different from the last iteration.

If that's any guide, the King should still be one of the best heaters out there.

Reactions: BoilerBob
My first post. I live at 7200 feet near the part of I80 that often get shut down because of bad weather. Temps go below zero and winds usually below 100mph. Have heated 2500 square feet 24 years, 7.5 cords/yr lodgepole with an old Country Comfort CC800 in a ground level basement, about 24/7 8 months/yr. Have to clean my chimney every two weeks. Logs are cut 19.2" (8' log divided into 5) up to 11" diameter, MC 5%-10%. Been thinking replacing with BK1107 or BK40. I can get runs of up to 10-12 hours on low with the CC. It smoulders alot. That is why lots of creosote. When it is cold, the CC and put out lots of radiant and convective heat. Two floor fans and open stairway bring heat upstairs.

Examining the manuals shows the BK40 a bit smaller and not quite the range spread of BTUs as the BK1107 in EPA tests Long run times are desirable as I am gone up to 18 hours. The BK1107 would accommodate my style of logging. I could stuff about 60 lbs lodgepole into the BK1107. My my measurements on a BK1107 and estimates on a BK40, I think I can stuff the BK40 with 45 lbs lodgepole for a long burn. The manuals say bigger but I figure fireboxes for the BK1107 at 4.0cf and BK40 at 3.5cf. Logs will need to be no larger than 9.75" and 9.5" respectively.

The BK1107 should be able to heat the house. Looked at the PE Summit, lots of BTUs but burn times will be short. The BK40 seems between the BK1107 and the KE34 Princess.

BK thinks I will have problems with the BK1107. I am trying to figure out if my draft is sufficient. I think it will be when outside is cold. I think any stove in my house at 45 deg outside and 45mph winds give problems. At those conditions, the cat may not work so I may just have to let the fire go during those times.

Seems like stoves get smaller to meet the EPA standards. The 1107 may be my last change to keep my house warm with a new stove and a whole lot less chimney cleaning. Still wondering if it can produce the output of my old smoke dragon. Running the math, I think it can. I think the BK40 may not be able to keep up on the cold days. I have to feed lots to keep upstairs at 70deg. But then I turn down at night so I can sleep. 63-65 deg in morning and takes a while to warm the house up. I like warm! Any Alaska folks running the BK1107 or older with 2500sf? At 20-30 deg, smouldering will be king.

Do you ever watch those Alaska shows? Almost every house they show has a BK in it.
I think you might be getting overloaded with all the btu ratings. The output is very similar in the King and Princess, the king just has a bigger fuel tank, I would expect the 40 to be the same.

The manuals say bigger but I figure fireboxes for the BK1107 at 4.0cf and BK40 at 3.5cf.

At first I thought you were a little crazy, but looking at the firebox numbers the 40 is smaller in every dimension but larger in cu. ft. I guess they measure all of the nooks and crannies where you can't actually get wood but looks good on a spec sheet.

I just put a deposit on a King and Queen!

My first post. I live at 7200 feet near the part of I80 that often get shut down because of bad weather. Temps go below zero and winds usually below 100mph. Have heated 2500 square feet 24 years, 7.5 cords/yr lodgepole with an old Country Comfort CC800 in a ground level basement, about 24/7 8 months/yr. Have to clean my chimney every two weeks. Logs are cut 19.2" (8' log divided into 5) up to 11" diameter, MC 5%-10%. Been thinking replacing with BK1107 or BK40. I can get runs of up to 10-12 hours on low with the CC. It smoulders alot. That is why lots of creosote. When it is cold, the CC and put out lots of radiant and convective heat. Two floor fans and open stairway bring heat upstairs.

Examining the manuals shows the BK40 a bit smaller and not quite the range spread of BTUs as the BK1107 in EPA tests Long run times are desirable as I am gone up to 18 hours. The BK1107 would accommodate my style of logging. I could stuff about 60 lbs lodgepole into the BK1107. My my measurements on a BK1107 and estimates on a BK40, I think I can stuff the BK40 with 45 lbs lodgepole for a long burn. The manuals say bigger but I figure fireboxes for the BK1107 at 4.0cf and BK40 at 3.5cf. Logs will need to be no larger than 9.75" and 9.5" respectively.

The BK1107 should be able to heat the house. Looked at the PE Summit, lots of BTUs but burn times will be short. The BK40 seems between the BK1107 and the KE34 Princess.

BK thinks I will have problems with the BK1107. I am trying to figure out if my draft is sufficient. I think it will be when outside is cold. I think any stove in my house at 45 deg outside and 45mph winds give problems. At those conditions, the cat may not work so I may just have to let the fire go during those times.

Seems like stoves get smaller to meet the EPA standards. The 1107 may be my last change to keep my house warm with a new stove and a whole lot less chimney cleaning. Still wondering if it can produce the output of my old smoke dragon. Running the math, I think it can. I think the BK40 may not be able to keep up on the cold days. I have to feed lots to keep upstairs at 70deg. But then I turn down at night so I can sleep. 63-65 deg in morning and takes a while to warm the house up. I like warm! Any Alaska folks running the BK1107 or older with 2500sf? At 20-30 deg, smouldering will be king.
Why does the bk staff think it won’t work? You have an 8” chimney right? If so, anything your old stove could do for 12 or more hours the bk can do better. It’s only those short blasts of intense 6 hour heat and inefficiency that the bk won’t be able to match.

I burn evergreens and low btu hardwoods like alder too. I can load 50# of regular sized splits into the smaller princess. That little princess will take 24 hours to burn through the load when I’m using low output settings which I do for about 90% of the year. I burn 24/7 for 100% of our heat 8-9 months of the year. Oh and I burn when it’s cold inside, even at 60 degree outside temperatures with a 12’ chimney.

The king will easily burn for the 18 hours you ask as long as you choose the right output setting which sets the burn rate. If you crank the king to max and leave for 18 hours you might not have a fire in the stove when you return. If you set it to low, you might have a half full stove when you return. As the operator, you set the burn rate.

You seem to be researching the specs using published test results. You can’t compare old test results to anything on the 2020 epa sheet. The test methods are different. Even silly things like the firebox volume measurement are different so in reality, the new king 40 might be exactly the same as the old king.

The best and only use of the epa sheet is to compare new stoves on the list to each other but only if they chose the same test method (crib wood vs. cord wood).

You seem to be researching the specs using published test results. You can’t compare old test results to anything on the 2020 epa sheet. The test methods are different. Even silly things like the firebox volume measurement are different so in reality, the new king 40 might be exactly the same as the old king.

The best and only use of the epa sheet is to compare new stoves on the list to each other but only if they chose the same test method (crib wood vs. cord wood).
Burn time, emissions, and other "tests" from the EPA don't concern me. That's why I look here for real world data. :) The physical dimensions of the box were listed though and I compared them to the older model. Back wall brick to front wall brick is 1 1/2" smaller though the back wall to the glass is the same. I'm certainly not angry at BK for tweaking their design to comply with some arbitrary number.

Burn time, emissions, and other "tests" from the EPA don't concern me. That's why I look here for real world data. :) The physical dimensions of the box were listed though and I compared them to the older model. Back wall brick to front wall brick is 1 1/2" smaller though the back wall to the glass is the same. I'm certainly not angry at BK for tweaking their design to comply with some arbitrary number.

Until someone actually measures a 1.5” change from old king to king 40 I have my doubts. It’s certainly possible though and like you said probably not all that important unless you have 10 cords of cut wood that needs that 1.5”. That would stink.

Agreed. Unless someone loads the box completely full every time, there shouldn't be a difference. I was just intrigued that the box height, width, and depth are all smaller on the 40 but the box capacity is listed as being larger than the 1107.
Looks like BK has the new 40 listed on their site now, last week it was still the 1107.

Agreed. Unless someone loads the box completely full every time, there shouldn't be a difference. I was just intrigued that the box height, width, and depth are all smaller on the 40 but the box capacity is listed as being larger than the 1107.
Looks like BK has the new 40 listed on their site now, last week it was still the 1107.

BK1107 manual:
Fire door opening 17 5/8” x 9 3/4” (448 mm x 248 mm)
Firebox depth 19” (483 mm) brick to brick, 21 1/2” (546 mm) brick to glass
Firebox width 25 1/2” (648 mm)
Firebox height 15 1/2” (394 mm)
Fire box capacity 4.32 cu. ft.
Recommended Fuel length 17” - 18” (432 mm - 458 mm)
Wood capacity (approximate): White oak - 90 lbs. (40.82 kg)
Fir - 60 lbs. (27.21 kg)

BK1107 by tape:
Fire door opening 17 3/4” x 10”
Firebox depth 18”, no brick to brick, do not want logs on glass!
Firebox width 24 1/2”
Firebox height 15 1/2”
Fire box capacity 3.96 cu. ft.

BK40 manual:
Fire door opening 18 1/2” x 9 3/4” (470 mm x 247 mm)
Firebox depth 17 1/4” (438 mm) brick to brick, 21.5” (546 mm) brick to glass
Firebox width 22 3/4” (577 mm)
Firebox height 15 1/4” (387 mm)
Firebox capacity 4.35 cu. ft.
Recommended Fuel length 17” - 18” (432mm - 457mm)
Wood capacity (approximate): White oak - 80 lbs. (36 kg)
Fir - 55 lbs. (24 kg)

(Not sure if table below will format correctly)
Firebox capacity (cu ft)
Manual/ Brick to Brick to Brick to Brick
Stove Brochure Glass Brick My Measure
----------------------------------------------------
BK1107 4.32 4.92 4.35 3.96
BK40 4.35 4.32 3.46

Firebox capacity appear calulated differently in the manuals. Also BK King & Princess brochure BTUs ave calculation errors, nothing significant though.

Bottom line from what I can figure, the BK1107 I can stuff with lodgepole

BK1107 two 9" logs + one 6" log = 50lbs
BK40 two 8" logs + one 6" log = 40lbs

I could actually stuff additional with smaller logs depending on ash depth.

You think I am crazy? I am an engineer. Dilbert comics says there is no hope for an engineer!

I think BK staff concern is my neutral plane, and a cool outside chimney. Stove in basement, two floor fans and open stairway move air up to next floor creating low pressure in basement. Conversely, basement is ground level with leaky door to leaky grarage helps up the low pressure. When cleaning chimney and stove on warm days & low winds, ash dust is sucked into warm stove with no fire, 100 degree single wall pipe exhaust. Cleanout in the garage draws dust during at this time. With 45 degrees outside and winds 35+ mph, sometimes I smell smoke. Higher gusts will blow a puff of smoke outside stove leaks.

BK's exhaust temperature is 150-200 degrees on low smoulder. 45 degrees and high wind gusts may keep the combustor from working properly. For any stove, I should just shut it down until cool and calm outside.

Started with 17 cords going into the winter cut to 19" except for sloppy cuts. BK should accomodate both NS or EW. For other models I would have to shorten my logs which makes my log pile less stable. The BK will probably be loaded heave a lot.

I am about to pop for a BK1107 if my wife will approve. She is not happy about a new stove. Told her I can keep our old stove going for 24 more years, but no one else could deal with it--pounds of creosote, chimney plugs, chimney sweep & black pipe disassembly every every two weeks, ash clean once a week.

Attached are a couple pics of the log pile and stove.

LogPile2.JPGCC800.JPGLogPile1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Elkmtnman ive never seen so many rounds and not one split lol. Round wood sure makes good privacy fence those are pretty stacks

I'll confess, that's not a deer stand, that's the kids (long gone) playhouse. But forest hunting is 13 miles up the road. Load was logged 15 miles up the road (photos attached), standing beetle kill, 5-10% moisture this year. Figure if I don't use holddown straps, I'm good for a single 1/2 cord firewood tag. Actually measures out to 5/8 cord. Subtract out air space then I am less than 1/2 cord. And it is a rough road home, takes an hour so as not to spill it.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 279
I had to google what yahderhay meant. Officialy my new word lol.
Don't speak it aloud or you may be subject to arrest, since you're not a cheesehead. ;)

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I'll confess, that's not a deer stand, that's the kids (long gone) playhouse. But forest hunting is 13 miles up the road. Load was logged 15 miles up the road (photos attached), standing beetle kill, 5-10% moisture this year. Figure if I don't use holddown straps, I'm good for a single 1/2 cord firewood tag. Actually measures out to 5/8 cord. Subtract out air space then I am less than 1/2 cord. And it is a rough road home, takes an hour so as not to spill it.
Love the trailer.

Good day to all. Writing from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. New to the forum side of communicating, apologies in advance for any mistakes; please correct me.

Looking for advice...We are building a 28x44' cabin/future retirement home. 6x6 construction. Metal roof, 4' crawl space on ICF blocks. I am surrounded by 10 acres of poplar. Approx 500sq ft open kitchen,dining,living room space with 17' vaulted ceiling , 6/12 pitch. Remaining portion has three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 9' ceilings. Looking at the Ashford 30.2 v Sirocco 30.2 (1100$ price increase for the Ashford, why?)

Please note attached file with cabin plans

Looking for opinions on...
1. Best location for wood stove in open concept area (considering having it centered along interior wall to bathroom)
2. Most efficient way to circulate warm air in winter
3. Outside air kit
4. Insulation for walls and roof

Peace and health to all...

Attachments

• St. Hilaire Diane 19-111 House Working 2.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 150
Figure if I don't use holddown straps, I'm good for a single 1/2 cord firewood tag. Actually measures out to 5/8 cord. Subtract out air space then I am less than 1/2 cord. And it is a rough road home, takes an hour so as not to spill it.
If I had to go up the road a piece like that, I might be tempted to split it on-site (if it hand-splits easy,) load splits on the trailer, really high, and use ratchet straps. You'd get more wood in a load, and could drive faster..