New BK Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smolder

Dec 25, 2019
Ashton, Ontario
Thank you everyone, this is my first post but thanks to all your posts I ended up buying a Blaze King, and avoided a few other choices. So far so good. Chimney extended, lined (35’ of draft). I built a support beam in the basement (to support the old log sleepers), but a perfectly fine white oak floor, poured cement, and laid cement tile (and a little marble for the chimney baseboard) for a floor flush hearth.

New BK Ashford 30 New BK Ashford 30 New BK Ashford 30 New BK Ashford 30 New BK Ashford 30

I just finished a job with the same self leveling concrete. Recognized the blue primer. That stuff is not fully self leveling!

I just finished a job with the same self leveling concrete. Recognized the blue primer. That stuff is not fully self leveling!
No kidding. The mix has a min/max water recommendation, as i learned in a small area you want closer to max so it levels better, i used a paint brush cleaner (with the spikes) to level into the corners... i also learned (the hard way) to undershoot the leveling compound by at 8th or more and use more thinset. Otherwise, magical stuff.

Reactions: Highbeam
No kidding. The mix has a min/max water recommendation, as i learned in a small area you want closer to max so it levels better, i used a paint brush cleaner (with the spikes) to level into the corners... i also learned (the hard way) to undershoot the leveling compound by at 8th or more and use more thinset. Otherwise, magical stuff.

I was leveling the floor under a shower. A diamond cup bit on a grinder smooths it out but it’s super dusty! I used a deep notch trowel to try and spread it as I poured with Max allowable water. Still took two pours and a lot of grinding. My problem is demanding perfection.

35’ is a lot of flue. My bk is cruising along right now on 12’.

I was leveling the floor under a shower. A diamond cup bit on a grinder smooths it out but it’s super dusty! I used a deep notch trowel to try and spread it as I poured with Max allowable water. Still took two pours and a lot of grinding. My problem is demanding perfection.

35’ is a lot of flue. My bk is cruising along right now on 12’.

It’s a tall house. I hope it isn’t to much flu, but it isn’t letting smoke into the room when the door opens so it seems to be drafting well!

i get to do the shower thing soon too!

Reactions: Highbeam
It’s a tall house. I hope it isn’t to much flu, but it isn’t letting smoke into the room when the door opens so it seems to be drafting well!

i get to do the shower thing soon too!
Nicely done on the floor and stove. What are you doing in the shower/bath?

Reactions: Smolder
Nicely done on the floor and stove. What are you doing in the shower/bath?

We are moving the laundry room upstairs, and replacing the downstairs tub with a shower (They share a room downstairs right now). I will turn the old laundry room into a small office space. Should be lots of work but worth it. Lol

We are moving the laundry room upstairs, and replacing the downstairs tub with a shower (They share a room downstairs right now). I will turn the old laundry room into a small office space. Should be lots of work but worth it. Lol
If you're doing tile floors/shower, seriously think about Schluter's Kerdi board and Ditra products, especially the infloor heat.

Very nice job neighbour. All you are missing now is flue thermometer.

Very nice and clean install a big stack of wood will look out of place

If you're doing tile floors/shower, seriously think about Schluter's Kerdi board and Ditra products, especially the infloor heat.

just had ours redone with the ditra heat. its freaking awesome. we are keeping our floor at a constant 73, and its a decent size, using 1KW a day. well worth it, as the bathroom is furthest from the stove and was always chilly- we ran a portable heater at times to make it more comfortable.

also that chimney is tall, i see you will have 2 90's so you might be ok, but many including me running BK's on long pipes needed some sort of damper at times to slow down the draft.

That is so nice! I wish I could make things that pretty! Well done. Laundry upstairs is a good move as well. Takes time to learn to throw dirty socks UPSTAIRS!

just had ours redone with the ditra heat. its freaking awesome. we are keeping our floor at a constant 73, and its a decent size, using 1KW a day. well worth it, as the bathroom is furthest from the stove and was always chilly- we ran a portable heater at times to make it more comfortable.

also that chimney is tall, i see you will have 2 90's so you might be ok, but many including me running BK's on long pipes needed some sort of damper at times to slow down the draft.

Seems to draft fine. They didn’t install an insulated liner, the chimney is in an exterior solid masonry wall (3 layers, bumped to the inside for the chimney). The tile was good but 140, so they installed a stainless liner. Flue seems to draft nicely, no smoke comes back in unless the fire went out, but i was surprised to see them install a 90.

Seems to draft fine. They didn’t install an insulated liner, the chimney is in an exterior solid masonry wall (3 layers, bumped to the inside for the chimney). The tile was good but 140, so they installed a stainless liner. Flue seems to draft nicely, no smoke comes back in unless the fire went out, but i was surprised to see them install a 90.

my point is the taller stack increases draft. while the stove wont over fire like other stoves, a higher than reccommended draft can shorten burn times and suck ash up which clogs your cat. you will know when it gets real cold and the wind blows up. mine sucks air like a jet engine. yes a pipe thermometer would be a nice addition.

A fluemometer?
A probe type thermometer, 18” above the stove. I assume you have a double wall pipe. Seeing the flue temperature is very important.

my point is the taller stack increases draft. while the stove wont over fire like other stoves, a higher than reccommended draft can shorten burn times and suck ash up which clogs your cat. you will know when it gets real cold and the wind blows up. mine sucks air like a jet engine. yes a pipe thermometer would be a nice addition.
Makes sense, when i have the bypass open i can certainly hear the suck!

Super nice install. You really took your time to mitre the marble trim. I don't know if I would have the b**ls to cut into the white oak floors.

BTW, how is your wood supply? CSS for some time? As you well know that is a key issue in running any new stove.

Super nice install. You really took your time to mitre the marble trim. I don't know if I would have the b**ls to cut into the white oak floors.

BTW, how is your wood supply? CSS for some time? As you well know that is a key issue in running any new stove.
it was scary, lol.

wood could be better. 15-20%, most closer to 20. I’ve been letting it char a little longer with the bypass open and that seeks to make it run cleaner after. This wood will be excellent next winter. My neighbor and I split a tractor trailer of hardwood logs then cut and split them. Might put some in the basement (it’s dry this time of year) to help pre-dry some wood.