Need upgrade from avalon arbor.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Apr 2, 2014
adirondacks
New member and need some advise from experienced users. I have an open floor plan two story home. Bottom floor 1100 sq ft and upstair just under 700. We have an avalon arbor(45,000 BTU ) in the living room which heats entire house only problem is that we get soot on our walls and window sills which could be from us adding corn to the mixture. We use just about 3 tons of pellets starting late October- to end of March. I have had this stove for two years. It came with the house that we purchased in upstate NY. The heat from the living room travel upstairs and heats it nice and toasty. I just want to upgrade to something that is more efficient and will handle better when temp falls below -10 to -20 at night. Will the Harman P61A be a big noticable difference that the avalon arbor. Any suggestions? FYI our living room reaches a temp range of 79-83 with stove on first medium when it is in the 30"s. If I choose to purchase this stove how should I set it to keep my above temp range?

Sounds like it's leaking. Most likely the exhaust pipe. You could check to see if the seams (joints) are sealed with RTV silicone. Draft fan gasket is also a possibility. Or if your termination is close to a window/door/vent of some sort. You should not have any soot inside your house. It could also be leaking from the stove itself. As far as what to replace it with. Most will give you good advice as to why they like their units, research it look into the advice you get ....alot of good info here.

If you are getting soot (black) on your walls and window sills, you have an exhaust leak on you Avalon or its venting. What type of pipe is used for venting?

It is hooked to 4'' pipe with an oak. The season is almost over. I am gonna keep the stove but gonna relocate it to the garage. I will look at the gaskets and exhaust pipe for a leak? Any feeling toward the P61A?

Reactions: Owen1508
It's your vacuum. Use a good ash vac with a HEPA filter...not the Electrolux or Dyson kind either. You got a really good stove. If the stove itself is leaking it would be contained to the back of the stove near the venting. If its really blowing all around the house figure out what is causing that but it usually isnt the stove.

Reactions: johnny1720
We heat just over 200 sq ft wit a p61a. Does a great job. Stove is in the living room and that room stays between 72-74. Upstairs is 69-71. That's only running it halfway. This winter has been brutal and she kept up just fine. Clean her once a month. Burned almost 6 ton this year, but I'm still saving. Here is my floor plan.

Need upgrade from avalon arbor..... Need upgrade from avalon arbor.....

Very happy with this stove, it was a lot up front but it's almost paid for itself.

Hoot23 ... 6 tons seems excessive. At most we have used only 3 tons with our avalon arbor. what month do you start the stove and when do you stop using it? our stove runs from end of oct through march. I would love to get a new harman p61A but dont want to use double the amount of pellets than i already do.

You will typically use the same amount of pellets or in this case the same amount of BTU's but in real cold weather the stove won't have to work as hard. Each home is different with insulation and air sealing differences. It sounds like yours is sealed and insulated well.

New member and need some advise from experienced users. I have an open floor plan two story home. Bottom floor 1100 sq ft and upstair just under 700. We have an avalon arbor(45,000 BTU ) in the living room which heats entire house only problem is that we get soot on our walls and window sills which could be from us adding corn to the mixture. We use just about 3 tons of pellets starting late October- to end of March. I have had this stove for two years. It came with the house that we purchased in upstate NY. The heat from the living room travel upstairs and heats it nice and toasty. I just want to upgrade to something that is more efficient and will handle better when temp falls below -10 to -20 at night. Will the Harman P61A be a big noticable difference that the avalon arbor. Any suggestions? FYI our living room reaches a temp range of 79-83 with stove on first medium when it is in the 30"s. If I choose to purchase this stove how should I set it to keep my above temp range?
P61 is a fine stove, but it sounds like the Arbor, 45k btu stove, was doing fine, except for the sooting. In that case, why wouldn't you just stay with a stove in that size? Also, your burn total, 3 tons, indicates that your needs are relatively modest, so a smaller stove, low 40k btus is appropriate.

the arbor heats great....... just that it is an older stove and alot of maintenance. I would like something that is easier to clean and maintain plus some extra BTU's for when it gets close near -30.

You will be fine with the P61. I take it you had to run full throttle at the near -30 temps. The P61 will give you almost 25% more headroom approx. However realize you will use more pellets since you will be able to turn it up when it is that cold and that is the time of year when pellet use is at its peak.

Hoot23 ... 6 tons seems excessive. At most we have used only 3 tons with our avalon arbor. what month do you start the stove and when do you stop using it? our stove runs from end of oct through march. I would love to get a new harman p61A but dont want to use double the amount of pellets than i already do.

End of October to now. This year was the most we've burned. The last two have have been 4-4.5 a season. I've bought 6 ton, I have 20 bags left. I don't think that's excessive. Either way I'm still saving money, no oil burned.

That Harman will burn more pellets just due to the nature of the combustion. It uses a very high air to fuel ratio, so much more heat is being sent right outside through your venting. That Arbor will heat your house for half the fuel of a Harman. Besides its not the same Harman of old anymore, HHT is a division of a File Cabinet and Office Furniture company Hahn Industries. Nothings been the same since Harman filed bankrupcy.

On a lighter note, check your venting seams including the elbows if any. Either that or get a good ash vac.

Status
Not open for further replies.