Need stove suggestion and placement advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Photobug

Sep 15, 2017
Jackson WY
I built my house 20 years ago and never installed a wood stove although the fireplace is there. I am not looking to rearrange the living room and install that stove. I have an 8" leaving the wall about 6 feet off the floor. The chimney is placed in the middle of the wall and I would like the stove to be to one side of the alcove to make the couch placement better. Can the stove pipe come out of the wall with a 45 degree angle to offset the stove location away from the couch?

Attached are pictures of the living room as it is now and a mockup of how i'd like to have it laid out with the stove offset away from the couch and closer to the TV wall side of the room. We are flexible as we have not bought a stove yet and can choose based on the stoves ability to be offset. ALthough my wife really likes the idea of baking in one and like the Drolet Bistro.

Need stove suggestion and placement advice.Need stove suggestion and placement advice.Need stove suggestion and placement advice.

It would come out of the wall horizontally, but can then have a 45 angled to the side yes.

Do look into side and back clearances.

I don't see an alcove but many new stoves are not currently allowed to be put in a alcove.

Also you'd need a 6" ID pipe for the Drolet.

Reactions: Photobug
Thanks that is the plan to come out of the wall before turning 45 degree towards the stove. While it has been a while since I designed the chimney I was very aware of the need for clearances from combustibles. I should have clarified the alcove is not a wood only alcove but a 5 x 13 foot bump out in the room. It is very much a part of the living room and by moving the stove as close to the corner as possible I can likely get more couch on the opposite side of the TV stove wall.

I built the house in the late 90s I feel wood stoves used a lot more 8" pipe then. I got to figure out where/how to step from 6 to 8" pipe.

Okay. The alcove ounds good.
The 45 is possible. It is advisable to minimize the total horizontal distance the gases have to travel as this decreases draft (as do 90 deg elbows, and 45s, though the latter are better - even 2 45s is better than 1 90).

How tall is the flue, i.e. from stove top to chimney cap?
The Drolet is not very demanding, but it's good to check you're not too short.

However,, a small (only 1.3 cu ft I believe!) stove might not be very suitable for an 8" flue. You risk gases traveling too slow because of the expansion to 8" is significant; a 6" flue has a cross section of 28 square inch and a bit, whereas an 8" flue has 50 square inch and change - almost double.

That increases the risk of creosote as expansion cools gases and slow travel allows them to shed more heat before the exit the top of the chimney.

I am not sure 8" for this stove is going to work well.

Reactions: Photobug