Need some input on heating my garage safely with a Jotul 600DV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acesneights1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
I have a jotul Gf600 DV from my old house that was supplemental and also SHTF backup heat. I took with me when I moved however our new house is laid out differently and much smaller. Part of the house is garage under and there is domestic plumbing running through the unheated garage. Above this garage is the master bedroom. I was considering using the Jotul to keep the garage warm enough in the winter so the pipes don't freeze. My alternatives are try and run a zone from the boiler on the other side of the house and go with either hydronic unit heater or maybe just a length of baseboard however since there is an outside concrete wall and the gas line passes through this area, the Jotul would be a cheap easy solution....now my concern is having a gas heating appliance running unattended in the garage under our bedroom. I realize we have trusted this stove in our other house for 10 years but it was upstairs and on the opposite side of the house where bedrooms were however we had a second Jotul Lillehammer in our bedroom so maybe I am being paranoid....opinions ? I have to get some form of cost effective heat in here asap. Electric is out of the question. CT. has the worst electric rates around and as it is I got suckered into solar and now nearly twice what a normal electric bill should be so we try to avoid electric at all costs.

Some pics and a really bad floor plan. The stove would go in the garage all the way to right facing against that wall and the bedroom is above it.

Attachments

• Need some input on heating my garage safely with a Jotul 600DV
    AF15D732-8AE8-470A-808E-D3083464016A.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 123
    5E3CA367-1FAB-4D84-B37B-40D05CFCB652.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 140
    B1B9F591-C31B-41D3-A91F-0A76FCFD7562.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 134
You are not paranoid & there is NO DANGER in doing what you want,
as long as the unit & venting are installed according to the manufacturer(s).
The unit takes outside air to burn & exhausts the spent fuel back outside.
It's a Sealed System that doesn't "communicate" with the indoors air.
Check your installation manual & you will see the approved venting configurations
pictured there. Run that GF 600 like you did previously. It's safe to do so.

You are not paranoid & there is NO DANGER in doing what you want,
as long as the DV cap is nowhere near a window that can be opened.
The unit takes outside air to burn & exhausts the spent fuel back outside.
It's a Sealed System that doesn't "communicate" with the indoors air.
Check your installation manual & you will see the approved venting configurations
pictured there. Run that GF 600 like you did previously. It's safe to do so.
Yes I am good on all clearences. I double checked everything. I have to run the vent out past the deck. The book actually said it can be under a deck but the underneath is boxed in so Im gonna run it past the deck. I just gotta double check the run ratio.