Need Some Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DriveByWire

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2009
NE Ohio
I stumbled on this site while doing some research for an insert and now look forward to reading it every day.

I think I've decided on the Jotul Rockland specifically becuase I like the larger viewing area vs. the Kennebec however my current fireplace rear height is about an inch short. Additionally, the hearth lacks about 3" of depth to meet the clearance requirements. The company that wants to sell me the insert tells me that the fireplace floor and the hearth need to be the same height. The house is on a slab so I think I can just remove the firebrick on the fireplace floor to make it level with the hearth and then extend the hearth. I would appreciate any input about whether you think this will work and the best way to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Need Some Help
    001 web.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 144
  • [Hearth.com] Need Some Help
    005 Web.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 153
It would be easier to have a small steel hearth riser welded up.
We do it all the time, made from scrap plate from a local steel distributor,
Then painted with Stove Brite...
Plus, you could add some cultured stone to the facing to get your required depth,
unless you're totally in love with the existing facing...

Status
Not open for further replies.