Need some help on a dinosaur...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StirnPanzer

Jul 25, 2020
Ontario, OR
Afternoon all,

I am working on a dinosaur of a pellet stove.....Whitfield WP-1. It came in with complete loss of power. With my initial troubleshooting, I was able to get it to power up, but no control in regards to turning the stove on or off unless I removed power by jumping the exhaust snapdisc. I'm thinking that snapdisc is possibly bad, but if that is the case I have another can of worms to deal with the loss of control in the switches. I am at a loss currently, and I haven't been able to find a manual for it that doesn't cost me at the present time. Any ideas as to why it is doing this? Right now I'm digging through the shop archives to see if I have a copy of a manual. I could use another pair of eyes or another brain with this one. The owner is a widow, and she would really like to have it fixed, and she isn't overly concerned about price.

Reactions: ARC
An update:

I have no idea what I did other than replacing the on/off switch, and reseating a couple of connections, but now it takes off and runs....I did a test burn of it, and ran it about an hour with no noticeable problems. It shut down after about 45 minutes of cooling down. I thought this was a bit of a long time, but most of my experience is with Quads and Harmans. I've worked on WP-2 Whitfields and newer, but haven't dove into a WP-1 before now. Do they normally take that long to completely shut down?

Reactions: ARC and Washed-Up
Even my P61A takes 1/2hr to 45min after it’s turned off or runs out of pellets

Reactions: ARC
My Envrio takes up to 45 min. after a hot burn and depending on the room temp

Reactions: ARC and Washed-Up
Please post some pics of the legend?
Here are my instructions to test the low limit snap disc on the exhaust housing. Whitfield snap discs are normally open and close on rise at 140 degrees (trip point)
See pic

Last edited: