Need some advice stove replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Thinking about getting a new stove just don't like the one in the house. Got my eyes on the NC 30 would this be a good replacement?

That stove you got is a pretty good sized stove, are you having issues with it?

Its a 3.24 cubic foot box. 18 1/4 x 20 1/4 box

Huntindog1 said:
That stove you got is a pretty good sized stove, are you having issues with it?

Its a 3.24 cubic foot box. 18 1/4 x 20 1/4 box

I have had issues with it from day one i added more chimney also it just seem like a bad brand to me.

Tells us some more details as what kind of chimney , whats its height?

Whats the stove doing thats causing issues.

Do you have a stove top temp and a flue pipe temp? Is it hard to start? what kind of wood are you using , how long has it been cut and split?

Can you post a pic of your setup?

We should be able to help if we know more.

Huntindog1 said:
Tells us some more details as what kind of chimney , whats its height?

Whats the stove doing thats causing issues.

Do you have a stove top temp and a flue pipe temp? Is it hard to start? what kind of wood are you using , how long has it been cut and split?

Can you post a pic of your setup?

We should be able to help if we know more.

I have a 12 foot chimney draft is good i burn 2 year old red oak and hickory. But my burn times are about 4 hours and that's with a good load. I have tried burning east west north south it is the burn times that really bother me.

Stove top run about 500 measured with a rutland thermometer. My flue temps are lower then what you all see but it has a firebrick in the baffle that can be removed. But when i remove it my stove top temps are low.

The burn times is the biggest issue.

oldspark said:
Can you turn the primary air all the way down or mostly so?

Yeah i can run it with it closed at 550 and get a great light show.

oldspark said:
No leaky door gaskets?

Nope done a cigarette test on the flue and around the stove and door.

Burn time is a relative and subjective term. If you are looking for say 4-5 hrs at a continuous temperature of over 500F, the stove should be able to do that. What are you seeing? What size splits are you burning?

BeGreen said:
Burn time is a relative and subjective term. If you are looking for say 4-5 hrs at a continuous temperature of over 500F, the stove should be able to do that. What are you seeing? What size splits are you burning?

I reload at 250-300 stove top with small splits i get 2 hours with big ones i can only get 4 but 5 is pushing it. i wake up a lot in the mornings to find a cold stove it is starting to get to me.

How much of your money can we spend?

HotCoals said:

Well i would like to keep it under 1100 if possible.

corey21 said:
HotCoals said:

Well with that budget look for a nice used cat stove if burn times are your biggest concern...bigger the better.

HotCoals said:
corey21 said:
HotCoals said:

Well with that budget look for a nice used cat stove if burn times are your biggest concern...bigger the better.[/quote

I don't really want a cat stove.

If I were you I would go to a local dealer and see what their recommendation would be. While its great to have a rep from the manufacturer answer your questions via phone, email or even here, its a whole lot better to have the person who sold you the item standing right in front of you.. Boy what I wouldn't give!

Jason

I looked at home depot and they have stores in my area. They have the nc 30 right now for 649 I really like the nc 30 and it get gets great reviews. I have went to there stores before and seen the 30 they have just never checked it out before.

If you would be happy with 6-10 hour burns (depending on which stove) and decent output ..a tube stove would be fine.
The NC-30 would fill the bill...most say around 8 hours of decent heat...usually enough coals to fire off the next load.

I was just suggesting you buy from a local source, I see a few people talking about having them shipped in from other stores ETC.. Seems like a great deal for that stove, Englander stands behind what they sell.

Jason

I would hold off on getting a new stove those US stoves are EPA certified just like all the rest so if you havent learned to burn this one your gonna have the same issue with a new one.

Do you rake your coals forward?

How many splits can you load? East west should get you a longer burn.

Do you have a manual pipe damper installed as you can experiment with the pipe damper to give you an indication if your draft is too strong.

Thats a really good deal on a nc-30 for $649 but expect the same issues if you dont figure out the problem. As I am sure the stove you got with all the testing and certifications stoves have to go thru can do better.

That would be really tempting a NC-30 for $649.

Huntindog1 said:
Thats a really good deal on a nc-30 for $649 but expect the same issues if you dont figure out the problem. As I am sure the stove you got with all the testing and certifications stoves have to go thru can do better.

That would be really tempting a NC-30 for $649.

I have tried every different method for getting longer burn times. I know i have good draft cause i can close it down and have nice secondary's. Also the tech support with us stove is awful.

Then I would jump on the $649 NC-30 Deal, Wish there was a deal like that when I bought my stove.

Make sure its not a NC-13.

Huntindog1 said:
Then I would jump on the $649 NC-30 Deal, Wish there was a deal like that when I bought my stove.

Make sure its not a NC-13.

Where... where?!!

Edit: Nevermind... it's a 13.

They have the 30 for that price.

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100291302/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Status
Not open for further replies.