Need remodel advice for fireplace with Drolet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc_92135

Jan 15, 2011
New Plymouth, Idaho
We have a Drolet Escape 1400 insert in a brick hearth with a metal Heatilator fireplace. A couple problems: the orginal owners of the house couldn't afford to do the job correctly, so they had Billy-Bob the cheap contractor do what he could....and it shows! The two bricks on top are loose, there is lots of mortar missing, and a large chunk on the left side is loose. There is also getting to be a decent size gap between the brick and the wall. His work also looks sloppy all the way up. The chimney on the roof is mainly held together with patch compound. Fortunately I had the sense to line it all the way up with 6" flex. We cut out the damper and part of the metal on the angled back of the fireplace to make room for the insert, shoved 'er in and it has worked great for a few years, but the whole wad is in rough shape.

I just found this site today, and I am hooked and also interested in tackling this job. The DIY pictures I've seen on here are great incentive! We aren't loaded by any means, but would like to at least be able to plan/dream, and gain the knowledge to do this ourselves.

I'm hoping you all will get an idea of what I'm up against by seeing the picture and have some feedback on which way to tackle this. We would like to either keep the insert or if it's feasible, have a free-standing stove in the hole after we remodel. My wife and I are pretty handy around the house, and have plenty of able-bodied help. In the picture of the outer brick in the garage, notice the spliced/wire-nutted extension cord, and you'll get an idea of the capabilities of the previous owners... :)

Thanks so much for any help/advice/direction, seems like a great group of folks on here and I'm anxious to learn more...

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Need remodel advice for fireplace with Drolet insert
    Copy of Picture 002 (Small).webp
    27 KB · Views: 316
    Copy of Picture 001 (Small).webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 352
Anyone out there have some input?

What is the chimney like at the roof line? Is the flue steel lined or clay tiles? Is it insulated?

There is certainly some work to do, but given the description, it doesn't sound horrible. If you have the floor space to work with, a stove will generally tend to be a better heater than an insert.

Give us a few more details, and we'll see what we can all come up with.

Not sure what the project is? Are the reported problems outdoors on the exterior masonry? The lower block looks to be in good condition.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Here's a shot of the chimney on the roof, and another picture of the inside piece. The thin red line is a crack through the bricks, and along a mortar joint. The airbrushed lines are all the loose pieces. The original flue is lined with tiles (can't remember what shape they're in), and I installed un-insulated flex all the way up when we put the Drolet in. It was a Heatilator fireplace with 3 air tubes, we cut the center tube out to make room for the flex.

One issue is the obvious disrepair of the brick hearth. Another is, the Drolet has been a great insert (for its price) but is rather small for a primary heat source. Our house is 1000 sf well sealed and insulated, and with the tiny firebox, we usually wake up to a cold house. I feel like we are over-working the insert; I can't stuff it full (which is basically one good-sized piece) and get several hours of burn time without choking it down to where it's lining the stack with caramel.

One idea we were tossing around is tearing everything out, lowering the hearth to the floor and putting a bigger wood stove in the hole instead of the small insert. But a new (and seemingly smarter work and money wise) idea is, perhaps tearing everything out and putting in a wood stove in the corner of the living room--basically starting from scratch. In my little mind, that almost seems like the cheaper, easier (and warmer) way to go. This is the area where I could use some ideas, input and advice.

I am very glad I found this site, every time I look on here I learn more about several aspects of keeping my house warm!

Attachments

chimney.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 260
    loose parts.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 243
OK, I think I see where you are concerned and going now. I would be inclined to try and work with what you have with some improvements. My thought is to tear out the existing face and hearth of the current fireplace. Then work toward creating a good setup for a freestanding stove there. A lower hearth will give you the height you need for a rear exit stove. And it will be relatively easy to improve the fireplace face to make it into something you will be proud of. Sounds like a good summer project.

A rear exit stove....that thought never crossed my mind! That would allow us to lower the hearth to the floor, give room for a bigger stove, and still have some of it in the wall (saving space in the room) AND heat the house better than the small Drolet....I like it! Or even a big top-exit stove???

So, if I have learned anything thus far, it would go something like this:
-Tear out existing hearth, and remnants of metal fireplace
-Frame in new, bigger hole and walls with metal 2X4's
-attach cement backer board to said 2X4's
-attach pretty rock/brick/stone of wife's choice to backer board
-install block-off plate with new 6" double-wall pipe up the stack
-install wood stove on short pedastal or legs (with blower)
-be able to load my new stove up with more than one plank of wood for the night without worrying
-Enjoy a warm house and a job well done

I wonder what something like that would cost? Armed with the knowledge to do it, we can tackle this ourselves. It sure sounds good on paper, and we want to start planning for it. Another idea we have is building in some kind of wood storage when we do remodel this.

Thanks so much for the input, keep the ideas coming!

I didn't mention anything about tearing out the remnants of the existing metal fireplace.

That was just my thought process....since we have already cut on it to make the Drolet fit anyway. I figured the approach would be to knock the bricks out (won't take much more than a sneeze), get rid of the metal fireplace and heatilator tubes, and frame in a new, bigger box to house a future wood stove. At least this way, we'd be tearing out all the questionable parts and starting somewhat fresh.

We were just looking at it and discussing what I've been reading on here. I think we'd scratch the built in wood storage and we are looking at re-doing in in tile, which I'd imagine would be easier than brick or stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.