Q&A Need new ash dump for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I also have box that is located under the fireplace grate for collecting ashes. The original manufacture was Bennett -- Ireland- Norwich- NY. The removable sheet metal box is rusted out and needs to be replaced. Have you heard of these "sweepits"? Any idea where to look?

<p>2. and final question. I am interested in adding a gas line to the fireplace. Luckily behind the fireplace is my utility room and a gas line. Do you sell kit for such a project. One thought was to bring the pipe through he hearth and out into the "sweepit".

Answer:

1. Masonry supply yards are the best places to look for this stuff---let your fingers do the walking
2. There is no do-it-yourself kit available- but there are stainless stell and brass flexible connectors avail. for gas....stop in your local plumbing supply and ask them the best way to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.