Need installation help for programmable thermostat to my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dkmcgill

Sep 16, 2019
Idaho
I've lived in my house for going on 3 years and the pellet stove that came with the house is a Leyden pellet stove by Lopi. I'd like to upgrade the thermostat to a programmable one so it will come on before I get up in the morning. The previous owner had a Robertshaw 9204V simple mechanical thermostat (https://www.amazon.com/ROBERTSHAW-T...s=Robertshaw+9204V&qid=1568699327&s=hi&sr=1-2) that when the temperature reaches below the set temp it would start the stove and it would turn off again once temp was reached. I purchased a Robertshaw 7-day digital programmable thermostat (RS6110- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZZNXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). My set up for the old thermostat is just 2 wires, a red RH wire, and a white W wire. When I tried to install those wires on the new thermostat in the same positions, it does not turn on my stove. I put the switches on the back to Non-Heat Pump (vs Heat Pump), and Electric (vs Gas). There was a jumper to the RC slot that I took out, but tried it both ways. Am I missing something? Will this thermostat not work with my pellet stove? The old one is a heat only model. Does the fact that the other one has much more capability mean it won't work? Do I need another wire or some other connection? When I try to increase the temperature so it will kick the stove on, I hear the little click like it should be coming on, but nothing happens. I hooked up the old one and it still works fine, just would love to have this figured out before the weather gets too cold. Answers and advice would be MUCH appreciated on how to install a programmable thermostat to my pellet stove. Attached is a picture of the box of my new thermostat. I'm happy to return it and get something else that works based on suggestions. I chose this one because people mentioned that it had a nice customizable range of the differential temp setting.

Attachments

• thermostatpic.jpg
    thermostatpic.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Try connecting to C and W1. If you want, you could do a continuity test between those 2 terminals with a multi-meter. That you you can test without having to connect and reconnect thermostats. You would be testing to see what set of contacts are closing when you hear the thermostat "click".

I tried reading the print on the pix you posted. It looks like you'll a 24v supply from a transformer. The thermostat you're removing is nothing more than a switch. Why not give Robertshaw customer/technical service a call? I've never spoken with them but had a problem with my Honeywell t-stat a few years ago and they were great. Good luck.

Last edited:
Try connecting to C and W1. If you want, you could do a continuity test between those 2 terminals with a multi-meter. That you you can test without having to connect and reconnect thermostats. You would be testing to see what set of contacts are closing when you hear the thermostat "click".
[/QUO

thank you. Just tried it with no luck. Will look into that and email customer support. Thanks for the reply.

I tried reading the print on the pix you posted. It looks like you'll a 24v supply from a transformer. The thermostat you're removing is nothing more than a switch. Why not give Robertshaw customer/technical service a call? I've never spoken with them but had a problem with my Honeywell t-stat a few years ago and they were great. Good luck.
Like a mini volt transformer? 120 to 24? Will have to look up that and see if I think I can do that. Hoping that's easy to install as well... Then another wire from that to which connection? C terminal? I just emailed customer support. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
You may want to look at these.

What Make and model pellet Stove do you have?
That makes a difference.

That stove works with a millivolt T-Stat
No 24 vac is needed.

The amazon link states that it is a 24v thermostat. I would go find a millivolt.

Personally, I use the Lux Geo, which I bought from Amazon. It is programmable, works with millivolt, has an app for my phone, sends alerts if my house gets too cold, and is just good looking. Amazon search for Lux Geo-WH

Reactions: kayakrich
I just found this write up on how to connect a Nest Thermostat to my Harmon P43 pellet stove. I did it and it works great. You just need the Honeywell Universal Switching Relay R8845U. It has a transformer built in and a relay to turn on the thermostat when it calls for heat. Here is the write up. Mine works great.