Need input on disassembling pipe for cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PK44

Mar 14, 2017
New York
Hi everyone. Want to start cleaning my flue pipe/chimney myself and need some help with where to disconnect to do so. The people I’ve hired to clean use the flexible rods and go from the bottom up without disconnecting but I am thinking of disconnecting the interior to do a thorough cleaning of all sections without the extensions and bends. Before I dive into this, do I simply unscrew the very top and very bottom set of screws and slide down the pipe and pull out in a single piece for cleaning? Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

D68A0E37-417D-4CE1-9DF5-24CF4F96A3B3.jpeg 8B6E76E5-DD2F-4BE9-9642-40DAC4155A41.jpeg 7906A685-A22C-4BA9-8654-B3EA920DC821.jpeg

A very messy undertaking, even if you are taking the pipe outdoors/down to the shop to clean the sections! Is there some reason you think the sections are not clean enough?

I would disconnect it at the ceiling. Have plenty of newspapers. Use plastic bags on the ends of the upper and lower pipe to keep the soot from going everywhere. Also turn off any fans including any central heat fan to keep soot from blowing around.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

disconnect at the roof and take your pipes apart. Then start your brush up the chimmeny slightly. Then take a plastic garbage bag and poke the end of the rod through the bottom and hold the bag tight to the pipe while you sweep up. this is what I do on one stove I have and works pretty well at catching everything. Also I second what armanidog said about having all air consuming appliaces off while cleaning the chimmeny. I was cleaning the one in our house once and my wife turned on the dryer. There was an instant cloud of ash/dust coming out of the pipe into our basement recroom. I make a point of telling her that I am cleaning the chimmeny and to not turn anything on until I say now.

Is there some specific reason you don’t want to do bottom up cleaning with flexible system?

Thank you everyone. There’s no specific reason other than ensuring that everything including the bend is completely cleaned out. I was a little surprised to see such a small amount of debris the last time they cleaned it with the flexible rods.

Me thinks that the bottom of the stove pipe connected to the stove should be a "male" into "female " connection. Doesn't appear that way in pic #3. I'll wait for the experts to chime in. Cheers!

Me thinks that the bottom of the stove pipe connected to the stove should be a "male" into "female " connection. Doesn't appear that way in pic #3. I'll wait for the experts to chime in. Cheers!
Appears that is telescoping double wall connector pipe which is installed correctly at the stove collar.

Appears that is telescoping double wall connector pipe which is installed correctly at the stove collar.
Ok,forgot it was double wall pipe. My bad.