need input on a split (level) decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
Okay, here's my situation: I live in a 1950's "modern" split level with a 14' valuted ceiling in the main living room with a 12' x 7' window. I am blessed (or cursed) to have 2 fireplaces one in the small 9 x 15 den and one in the 16 x 17 living room with that high ceiling & ginormous window. Both fireplaces are on the wall with the split stair case so the bedrooms are right above the den and connected by stairs to the living room, but the dining room, kitchen, and 4 season sunroom addition are on the other side of the living room. The TV is in the den, the living room is "formal," but the kids do their homework on the dining room table.

Main level is 700 sq ft, lower & upper levels are respectively 400+ sq ft.

Where would you put a stove?

THANKS!!

I would go with the living room location. It sounds like heat generated in that room can get to more areas easily. It sounds like the living room is not as used as much as the den. So far the only drawback I see with the living room as the heat source would be that it is formal. Sometimes finding an insert (I asume you want to go with an insert?) that looks formal may be difficult but not impo$$ible). I am also thinking living room because of the size of the window.

If you get a descent sized insert, it will roast you out of the room if you want it to. Since you use the den more, that may be a good thing. I would go with the location that will spread the heat to other areas more easily. To me it sounds like the living room. I would also consider which fireplce is larger so you can put a larger insert in there.

If the insert is of descent size, you will be able to produce a large amount of heat. The heat will find it's way to the upstairs and other to areas of the house. It's amazing how well the heat will disperse (at least in my home it works pretty well). If you need to move heat to a very distant area, a small electric fan uses very little electricity and will work well. The key for me was remembering a statement I read here that said something like "instead of trying to use a fan to move the heat, use the fan to remove or displace the cooler air, and the warmer air will naturally take it's place" (I think it was elk who mentioned that, not sure). Since I started looking at it in this way, it seems allot easier to move the heat to the remote areas of my house.

Good luck with your decision, KD

Here are pics - you'll notice the fireplaces back to back, the arch cut from living room to dining room sunroom, and the den taken from the laundry room which is adjacent to guestroom/playroom

Yes from Philly - Blue Bell, central montgomery county to be exact

THANKS!!!!

Attachments

• need input on a split (level) decision
    P1010053.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 508
    P1010054.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 499
    P1010055.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 522
In that case I'd put an insert into one of the fireplaces in the den. That would be so close to the stairs that the heat will come up the stairs easily. It will be warm down there, but that's o.k. A friend of mines parents had a very similar house in highschool, and they had the stove downstairs in their den. The bedrooms upstairs were not all that warm but the den and main level were easily heated by the stove at the bottom of the stairs, exactly where yours will be.

If your goal is to get as much heat as possible into the bedrooms, I'd say that the stove should be in the main level.

Let us know what you decide.

Yes, looking at the pics, I agree with Warren. You should be able to get good heat up there and into the living room. KD

I would think the down stairs den would be the "best bet" for over all home heating. You could put it on the second floor but your going to have a BIG issue with heating the down stairs that you also spend most of the time. If on the second floor your down stairs is going to be cold and you would have to run a small heater down there to keep up with the rest of the house. The chimney being so close to the stairs a lot of the heat is going to go up right away. A ceiling fan down stairs would transfer a lot of the heat. Again , I would say down stairs.

thanks for all the input - did you notice that the fireplace is 2 sided? Would a stove therefore be better than an insert? That downstairs fireplace is on the small side so if it is a stove, I'd like to go with something like a Jotul Nordic and get it inside some- although the reviews are mixed on these. Is that too small? If most of the heat is for the downstairs and up the stairs, I'm going to be in the <1000 sq ft range. Again, your input is appreciated!

thank you!

philaphire said:
thanks for all the input - did you notice that the fireplace is 2 sided? Would a stove therefore be better than an insert? That downstairs fireplace is on the small side so if it is a stove, I'd like to go with something like a Jotul Nordic and get it inside some- although the reviews are mixed on these. Is that too small? If most of the heat is for the downstairs and up the stairs, I'm going to be in the <1000 sq ft range. Again, your input is appreciated!

thank you!
philaphire said:
Main level is 700 sq ft, lower & upper levels are respectively 400+ sq ft.
So your house is total 1,100 sf ??

Go for the f3cb. The flexibility of being able to handle 18" logs vs 16" logs will be worth it.

Either stove will look great in that setting!!

I think either one of those fireplaces was just born for the F100 Nordic.

I don't know about "mixed reviews" but that little Nordic in my office is doing such a good job that I am holding off on moving the 3CB into its place.

If you are heating overnight you are going to be getting up to feed either one.

House is 1800 sq feet, lower and upper levels are both 400 sq ft each

So how many sq ft does your Nordic heat?

oh, and I don't need to burn overnight or 24/7 - just looking to supplement/zone heat in order to save $$$

philaphire said:
oh, and I don't need to burn overnight or 24/7 - just looking to supplement/zone heat in order to save $$$

Basement office and and supply room is 1,000 square feet even. Unfinished so the walls soak up a good bit of heat but it did fine all last winter. The 3CB will put out more heat no doubt about it. I just haven't gotten around to moving the F100 to the warehouse and sliding in the F3 in its place in the office yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.