Need Help With Stove Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
Well, my wife has now taken an active roll in the planning for the wood stove. She would like to place the stove in a different location than I was originally thinking. While I am in favor of this new location, I'm not sure I am considering all of the pros and cons of it...and the pros and cons I have come up with may not be of any consequence. So, I am hoping to get some professional assistance with this...meaning you guys ;-)

Here is my floor plan...again...with the newly proposed stove location:

[Hearth.com] Need Help With Stove Location

This is a relatively new home...about 5 years old. So, it is fairly well insulated. Plus, all of our rooms have ceiling fans...if this information helps.

I am wondering about how well the heat will migrate through the house in this location.

This is close to an outside wall, and we have a lot wind where we are. I didn't want to end up with 8' plus of pipe exposed above the roof...nor do I want to have additional penetrations in my roof for cable anchors. So, I'm thinking I should route the smoke pipe through the attic and exit the roof fairly close to the roof peak. Should I be overly concerned about the elbows required to achieve this?

If anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts about anything, please fire away.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Need Help With Stove Location
    Current House-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 285
hard to say with out photos, but stoves near doorways can be tripping hazards unless the hearth protection is flush with the floor material. It also seems to take alot of the dining space up. If the room is empty like the plan shows, the spot betwen bath 1 and bath 2 would be the better location. Depending on your roof line, that installation might keep more of the chimney in the attic vs the outdoors. That means easier cleaning and better performance.

MountainStoveGuy said:
hard to say with out photos, but stoves near doorways can be tripping hazards unless the hearth protection is flush with the floor material. It also seems to take alot of the dining space up. If the room is empty like the plan shows, the spot betwen bath 1 and bath 2 would be the better location. Depending on your roof line, that installation might keep more of the chimney in the attic vs the outdoors. That means easier cleaning and better performance.

Between bath 1 and bath 2 was my original location, but my wife does like how far it protrudes out into the living area at that location.

You are correct, the lay-out is not informative enough. The traffic pattern through the sun room door will not be a problem...no worries about tripping. Also, we spend most of our time eating at a bar in the kitchen...we rarely use the dining area at all. Even if we did, the interference would be fairly minimal, unless we added leaves to the dining room table in order to accommodate a group of people...which we rarely do. Though, those were very good points...I appreciate it.

I was worried about the needed elbows in the smoke pipe potentially causing creosote and cleaning problems...or am I overly worried about nothing?

sugar said:
prevailing winds can be a significant factor and i do like your layout...maggie

Thanks maggie...I appreciate the compliment.

Please consider, I am very new to this...how will the prevailing winds create a problem if the smoke pipe is high enough above the roof peak?

sugar said:
prevailing wind effects a heatflow within the house which is hard to reverse much like paddling upstream . folklore has it that its senseless to try to heat from the s. side of the house . if you can visualize air movement through your house , in the same direction as the wind blows, you can see which way the heated air moves

Sorry, I misunderstood...I think I got it now. Your concern was not necessarily about the draft performance, but rather how the heat will migrate through the house.

Thanks, I appreciate the observation.

We're not seeing the layout here. The picture (CurrentHouse-2.jpg?t=1257017527) did not post.

BeGreen said:
We're not seeing the layout here. The picture (CurrentHouse-2.jpg?t=1257017527) did not post.

I made a change to the image location address...I'm not sure it is going to help. If not, I have no clue about what else I can do, unfortunately.

BeGreen said:
In the announcements section of at the home page for the forum there are directions for posting pictures. Be sure to check out the links at the end of the post too. If you are still having problems, send the pic to me via a PM and I will post for you.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_2/

I don't see where I'm doing anything wrong...although I could be over-looking something.

I have posted images in other threads without any problems. Plus, I am seeing the image embedded within the thread, and there seems to be at least 2 other people that have responded to this thread who can see the image. No disrespect meant...you are certainly more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff, but under these circumstances, could the problem possibly be on your end?

I have uploaded the image, as a thumbnail, directly from my computer...maybe that will help.

I suppose my biggest question is...
Will the elbows required to route the pipe through the attic create drafting, creosote and cleaning problems?

fdegree said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

Between bath 1 and bath 2 was my original location, but my wife does like how far it protrudes out into the living area at that location.

You are correct, the lay-out is not informative enough. The traffic pattern through the sun room door will not be a problem...no worries about tripping. Also, we spend most of our time eating at a bar in the kitchen...we rarely use the dining area at all. Even if we did, the interference would be fairly minimal, unless we added leaves to the dining room table in order to accommodate a group of people...which we rarely do. Though, those were very good points...I appreciate it.

I was worried about the needed elbows in the smoke pipe potentially causing creosote and cleaning problems...or am I overly worried about nothing?

cool, my recommendation was based purely of traffic flow through the house. The only performance related issue i see is that you usally want to keep as much chimney inside the building envelope as possible.

MountainStoveGuy said:
The only performance related issue i see is that you usally want to keep as much chimney inside the building envelope as possible.

This is why I want to keep the chimney in the attic, after it penetrates the ceiling, until it gets close to the peak. I'm just not sure about my other concerns...the elbows creating drafting, creosote and cleaning problems.

The thumbnail image is displaying now and works well enough. From the diagram, the stove location looks acceptable. Your family will know better how this works with daily traffic flow and furniture placement. Tape the hearth out on the floor with masking tape and see how it feels to you.

I can see the concern regarding heat distribution. My guess is that the bedrooms will be a bit cooler, but maybe that will be just fine? If need be, a fan placed low on the floor at the end of the BR hallway, and blowing towards the stove area may be sufficient to help even out heat.

BeGreen said:
The thumbnail image is displaying now and works well enough. From the diagram, the stove location looks acceptable. Your family will know better how this works with daily traffic flow and furniture placement. Tape the hearth out on the floor with masking tape and see how it feels to you.

I can see the concern regarding heat distribution. My guess is that the bedrooms will be a bit cooler, but maybe that will be just fine? If need be, a fan placed low on the floor at the end of the BR hallway, and blowing towards the stove area may be sufficient to help even out heat.

Sorry about the problems with the image...from now on I'll try to attach any images directly from my computer, as thumbnails.

Thanks for the tip on masking it out on the floor...we did that yesterday and we don't feel that will be an issue...considering furniture placement which forces the traffic flow away from this area.

The bedrooms being a little cooler is not a significant issue...personally I like a cool bedroom. But, if they are a lot colder, my wife and daughter may complain. I didn't think about the fan at the end of the hall. Although, I did consider the ceiling fans that are in every room, and the furnace fan that can distribute air through the entire house.

Thanks for the input!!!

I think this spot would work just as well as the other proposed spot.

firefighterjake said:
I think this spot would work just as well as the other proposed spot.

Thanks!!!

Anyone...
Will the elbows required to route the pipe through the attic create drafting, creosote and cleaning problems?
Anyone...

I have an estimator coming out in a couple of weeks, maybe he can help with my questions too. Since he will be here, is there anything I should ask about? We have not decide on any particular stove just yet...we are getting a materials and installation estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.