Need help with pellet purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I have some really good neighbors that I want to "gift" a ton of pellets to, we have a TSC near by that's selling 40lb bags @ $5.20 a bag, after 50 bags they will take 20c off per bag for the whole order.
My questions, $5.00 a bag seems still high to me, and also how many bags do you get in a ton? Any help would be appreciated, I think Im going to call around and see if any lumber yards or masonry supply places are selling pellets.

Home Depot sells pellets at 5.29/bag & a pallet (1 ton=50 bags) for $249. But if you purchase in bulk (min. 6 pallets) they reduce it to $219-229 (not sure at the moment but it's in that range).
Hope that helps & happy holidays!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thankyou @krushmoto that helps a lot, I'm a wood burner so pellets are a whole different animal to me, about all I know is to get soft wood over hard wood when its offered.

Thankyou @krushmoto that helps a lot, I'm a wood burner so pellets are a whole different animal to me, about all I know is to get soft wood over hard wood when its offered.
At the big box stores it's pot luck. Best thing to do is get a few bags & try it out before you commit to the pallets. Brand varies by store and region.
Good luck!

Last time I went to TCS all the pellets were outside. I had to take them all back as the pellets just turned back into sawdust as they had gotten wet. Talked to the manager and even though the bags are clearly labels do not store outside he said that’s just the way to do it. If I wanted a whole pallet he would call me when it off loaded and I could come pick up that day. Didn’t take him up on his offer.

Find out what he uses he will know what pellet works for him.
He will be a very happy camper to get a ton of his favorite pellet

Bottom line is you get what you pay for in pellets. Ask what your neighbor burns and where they get the pellets and buy them a ton. For me a ton of softwood pellets is about $300/ton. They must be good neighbors! Some people (or pellet stoves) are picky, some aren’t (as far was what they will burn)!

Last time I went to TCS all the pellets were outside. I had to take them all back as the pellets just turned back into sawdust as they had gotten wet. Talked to the manager and even though the bags are clearly labels do not store outside he said that’s just the way to do it. If I wanted a whole pallet he would call me when it off loaded and I could come pick up that day. Didn’t take him up on his offer.
Everyone stores the pallets outside but the manufacturers know this and wrap it up pretty well. But the forklifts will damage the packaging causing it to get wet but it's usually only the bottom bags. Those I take back to the store and they'll gladly exchange.
But the individual bags should NEVER be stored outside unless they are stored in a covered area. HD stores the individual bags outside under the covered area of the garden center. All my problems have been the bottom bags when I purchase the pallet.

Just my 2¢

The local farm store would stack pallets atop pallets and sloppy handling would damage the wrapping. They dropped a pellet supplier due to wet bags but it was their own doing. Probably doesn’t matter they don’t sell the pellets I like because I got wet bags before too.