need help with getting fireplace glass door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

codydemmel4

Dec 13, 2016
pa
So I just have a regular fireplace and the owners did not leave a glass door for night, so I could block all my heat going up the flue.

This is my first house I have owner, so I am new to the whole fireplace scene so I would like as much help as possible. I would like if someone could guide me in the right direction on what to do here. I have a screen to protect the ashs, sparks etc from getting on my hardwood floor but nothing to put in front of the fireplace like glass doors if I wanted to go to bed before the fireplace died down. I have attached pictures below.

The fireplace is 36 inches wide, around 32.5 inch tall at the tallest point. It is also around 26-27 inches tall on the sides.

PS: I do not want to convert this into a wood stove as I like the look of the fireplace as is. I also only plan on using it a couple times a month and at most around once a week. I also do not plan on this heating a large area, mostly for looks

Attachments

• need help with getting fireplace glass door
    fireplace1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 74
    fireplace2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 98
    fireplace3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 105
    fireplace4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 86
    fireplace5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Lowes carries and can special order fire place doors. Pleasant hearth brand iirc. The other option would be to have your own built so that you can install fire rated glass in the doors. Most off the shelf fireplace doors are only rated to around 600 degrees so you can't burn with them shut. If you want to keep the character of that fireplace I would go custom, the other doors are basically universal and lack any originality.

A pretty nice door could probably be fab'd up in a day. I'd inset 1.5" angle up both sides and across the bottom. Then tabs of angle around the top. Cut a semi circle of 1/4" steel to fit the arch and bolt it on (Probably want to bolt on last so you can shim and line up with doors). Then your working with square doors. Build a square frame with lips to accept glass. You can order custom glass online. Door latches and hinge pins would be fairly easy. I'm betting that even if you had someone do this you'd be less than $400 +glass which isn't much more than standard blah off the shelf doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.