Need help understanding my inherited log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

prairiesailor

Jul 21, 2024
Canada
Hello,

I am fairly new to the forum, but have followed awhile. I recently purchased a cabin that came with a gas-powered log splitter and I am not really familiar with hydraulics and have 2 questions or problems:

1. When i extend the ram too far the motor immediately dies. This gets super frustrating, as you have to gauge it and if you miss by a split second...bam...motor dies.
2. It seems to really struggle splitting lots of logs, and will stall the motor if I am not gingerly on the control. This is poplar and pine, not hardwood, and most of it maybe 8 to 10" diameter. I wonder if this is a hydraulic limitation or that the motor is too small? It's a 5 hp Honda motor.

I have included a link to some pictures. I am pretty certain it's homemade by the looks of it. It works, but these 2 issues make it frustrating, and I just don't know too much about how these work and would love to hear any suggestions.
Photo Album of Wood Splitter