Need Help Please Harman 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 30, 2017
Northeast
So wouldn’t you know it just my luck. I just picked up a ton of Norhtern Warth Supreme Douglas Fir
today after work and then my stove dies. My stove is a 2014 insert that I clean faithfully and just did a thorough cleaning about a month ago and I’ve probably only used the stove ten times since then. I had been having an occasional problem where I’d go to bed at say 10:00 at night shut the stove down and when I woke up at 5:30 in the morning the combustion motor was still going. This happened a couple times at the end of last season and I was hoping it would magically go away. It was fine this morning after running it last night. I turned the stove on around 3:30 this afternoon half filled with Vermont’s and the top half with the new Douglas Firs I got today. It had probably been running for about 45 minutes and my wife heard some tinging inside of it she described. When I came running up from the basement the stove had shut off and it still had a flame going. I knocked down the flame and pulled the pellets down into the ash pan and yes of course I am happy to say my fire alarms work excellent LOL. On the top flat part of the stove to the left and right and in front of the hopper lid was very very hot. I’ve unplugged the stove then tried plugging it back in, but no power. Any ideas what it might be or where I could start maybe trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I have some spare fuses. I have a bad feeling and it’s just a guess that it could possibly be the control board. Hopefully I can figure this out with some help from this great forum. Most importantly have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.

If it was making a metal to metal noise. i would inspect all moving parts to ensure they are in working order and nothing is loose. Blower squirrel cages fill up with lint and pet fur. Nuts, bolts, screws in the auger? Also check your wire harnes for wear/rub through. After the wellness check i would plug it in and try it.

Run in test mode and see what happens. You can at least hear the blowers running and should be able to tell if it’s one of them is the culprit. Auger motor too

I 2nd the out it in test mode after checking it over first.

Well everything seems clean as a whistle tight ect..
How can I turn the auger by hand? I tried turning it from inside the stove and it won’t budge. I found out if you lift a little arm in the back it drops pellets. I tried turning one of the wheels in back under that arm but the auger still doesn’t seem to be moving?
Any advice? Ty

You’ll have to disconnect the auger motor from the auger shaft and slide it off. Be sure to Unplug you’re stove before working back there. Once you remove the auger motor it will expose the shaft which you can try to turn by hand. If it doesn’t turn you may have to pull the auger out. It’s held in place with a couple of hex bolts and a dab of high temp etc. after you remove the bolts just tap the auger from inside the stove. This is how I removed the auger on my Harman Advance. I presume it would be the same on yours.

So I got it back together. I put it on test mode. The auger fed pellets which was great. I did not get any blinking lights on the status light which was great. One question before I try starting it again is that while in test mode it did cycle through everything, but the distribution and combustion light both stayed on. After about five minutes I took it out of test mode. Was it supposed to stop on it’s own after it went through the test mode? I thought it was supposed to.

Once you take it off test mode the only light you should have is the power light. Did you hear any of the noise you heard previously.