NEED HELP just bought house has corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deuitch1119

Jan 6, 2017
Burlington, Iowa USA
We just bought a house and it has a corn burner. The only thing the people whom we bought the house from had about the burner is just the make and model number. Its a Nesco Corn Stove 4100. I am wanting to use it asap since we are now in the negatives. I can not find a manual anywhere. I have already purchased corn from a farmer who sells to corn stove members. I am not sure what all I am needed to do to get it going. Can anyone help please. Thanks in advance.

We just bought a house and it has a corn burner. The only thing the people whom we bought the house from had about the burner is just the make and model number. Its a Nesco Corn Stove 4100. I am wanting to use it asap since we are now in the negatives. I can not find a manual anywhere. I have already purchased corn from a farmer who sells to corn stove members. I am not sure what all I am needed to do to get it going. Can anyone help please. Thanks in advance.

Here is a manual ---> http://www.cornstoves.info/docs/manual.pdf
Make sure Your safety alarms, smoke, fire, Carbon monoxide ETC are working before you lite it.
Good luck.

Dan

Reactions: FirepotPete
Have some patience with your stove, burning corn isn't just light and heat, you might get lucky and it works well right away. If not the stove will work, you will just have to learn how to get it to burn good.

Thanks to CapeMayDan you have the manual.

I would suggest making a clinker fork to remove the clinker instead of trying to flip it and then snag it with tongs. Much easier once you do it a few times.

Don't know why the formatting for text is changing, not intended.

You may want to purchase a couple of bags of wood pellets to mix in with the corn to begin with. It may make life a little easier until you get use to the stove and how to run it. Not familiar with your stove but maybe 25% to 50% pellet mixture would be a good starting point.

Well I can give you a few pointers on starting. I have a Magnum corn stove almost the same as yours. You can start the stove a lot faster using a few pellets. I use an lp torch/ I know I will get some grief here but o well it works great.
Fill a pea can about 3/4 full of pellets pour them in the pot. Turn the stove to start, If you have a safety switch on the pellet/corn lid ( where you load the stove with fuel) leave the lid up. Hit the pellets in the pot with the torch keep the door mostly closed, once a few are going close the door and wait till most are fired up. If the stove is dead cold you might want to toss a few/ small handful more on top. in any even you need to get a good fire going before you turn on the corn feed.

I have the same stove. As was said already start it with pellets, I fill the burn pot about 1/2 way or a little better and light with torch cuz its quicker. I used the gel for the first couple years so it works fine to. These stoves are positive pressure unlike 99% of stoves now so when starting it dont turn stove on until door is shut or she throws quite a bit of smoke out. There is no fancy pressure switches or sensors to worry about. If it was set up and running you shouldnt have to worry about adjusting the damper. But if you do its accessable from either the back panel or the ride side panel. Its a 1/4" allen head bolt sticking out dead center at bottom of stove. My stove works best at 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 turns out from fully closed. Thats burning on feed rates between 1 and 5, rarely go above 3.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS AFTER LIGHTING IT TO TURN POWER BUTTON TO AUTO OFF. You'll have to wait for the auger to start feeding on its own to do this. If not turned to auto off it wont shut down if theres a problem.

I'll check back in in the morning to see if you have any questions. These are very simple stoves and throw a lot of heat

Did you ever ask the seller if the stove had be started this year?
Have you got the stove started?
Hope the members here were able to help. The manual should have cleared some questions.
Good Luck
Stay in touch
ED.

I have the same stove as well. Follow the info above for lighting.

I would like to add. A good cleaning and a drop of oil to each electric motor wouldn't hurt it. This would also help you get better familiarized with the stove too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk