Need help identifying this stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

SgtM

Oct 16, 2024
Ohio
Apologies if this isn't the correct sub forum. I'm looking for some help identifying this stove. All I know is it was in my house when I bought it in 2007. Supposedly, it's custom built. I can't find any maker's marks or branding anywhere. I've had a fireplace company look at it and they said that since it's possibly custom, they wouldn't connect an exhaust pipe to it since it isn't UL certified which could void my home owner's insurance policy. Honestly, I wouldn't mind removing it altogether and installing something else. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I'm in NE Ohio.

[Hearth.com] Need help identifying this stove [Hearth.com] Need help identifying this stove

Agreed, it looks like a one-off made by a metal shop. The fireplace company is correct. What did they suggest as an alternative?

In order to provide better advice, tell us more about the current setup and the house in general.

I know that it worked at one time. When the new siding was installed shortly before I bought the house, they removed the exhaust pipe. The stove is in an add-on room that currently is more of a catch all than anything. The room does get heat (forced air natural gas furnace), but is generally colder than the rest of the house. The fireplace company suggested replacing it altogether, but they wouldn't take this one in trade. If I remember correctly cost would be around $3,000. I'm sure this stove is worth something to someone, though I'm not really looking to profit from it. At this point, it would just be nice to have something usable in that room, even if it were electric. I wouldn't know where to begin to try to get this thing out. As you can probably guess, it's a tank. I'm not afraid of a little work, and I know those electric units easy to install and inexpensive.

I'd be happy to take other pictures if it might be helpful.

It's a big, unbaffled steel box. It will work, but looks to be very inefficient. Its value is to the beholder, but generally this is not much more than scrap steel value. That said maybe someone would pay $100-150 for using it as a shop stove.

As for moving it, slide it out then get it ratchet strapped to a stout appliance dolly. Once it has wheels on it, it will be easier to move.