Need Help Identifying Fireplace Insert in my New (to me) Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iambill

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2006
I recently bought a home, built in 1996. The previous owner was using a wood stove which he'd piped though the original fireplace insert. When this was installed, the damper was removed, and there are screw holes from something else that was removed, though I am not sure what. Also removed was the tag which displayed the manufacturer, model, serial #, etc... I am trying to identify the manufacturer & model of the fireplace so I can determine what else is missing, and order replacement parts so that I can use the fireplace in my new home.

Do these pictures look familiar to anyone? Ignore the chimney liner, when the wood stove was installed, an additional full length liner was installed, and I was halfway though removing the liner when the pictures were taken.

Attachments

• Need Help Identifying Fireplace Insert in my New (to me) Home
    IMG_2878.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,962
  • Need Help Identifying Fireplace Insert in my New (to me) Home
    IMG_2879.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,142
looks like a Majestic.

So many of these look similar that it can be almost impossible to identify them. Majestic was probably by far the biggest selling brand in the east at that time - so the odds are with you.....

But Temco is another which saw wide distribution, and also Heatilator.

Are there any neighbors that might have homes built at the same time by the same builder? This might be a good way to find out. Also, you might even be able to track down the builder of the original home - often they are still somewhere in the area.

Lastly, a decent chimney sweep may be able to restore and/or find generic parts to fit - for instance, glass fireplace doors which are available for ZC fireplaces like yours.

Another possible lead - these fireplace are usually installed by large distributors in your area - For instance, Thulman Eastern, Hearth and Home, etc. - you might want to look in the yellow pages under fireplaces

It isn't a Majestic, I took pictures into the local Majestic dealerthey thought perhaps a Temco, but couldn't be sure. I had another suggestion that it may be a Marco, but I don't know how much luck I'll have with them since Lennox purchased them.

My local chimney guy could not identify the manufacturer, nor was he comfortable giving a thumbs up until I could locate the manufacturer and get the appropriate parts.

I took pictures to the distributor that he goes to when he needs help, they couldn't identify it.
They sent me to a former employee who is their expert when they need help, he couldn't identify it either.

I'm working on tracking down the builder, but thus far the selling realtor/former homeowners haven't been much help. The former owners didn't keep any paperwork on the fireplace insert. Though they did give me manuals for almost everything else in the place.

to keep terms strait, you have a zero clearance fireplace, not a fireplace insert. You will find proper terms helpfull talking to the folks and tracking things down,. Fireplace inserts are very differnt things then what you have.
Dont throw away the liner pipe. You might find that you want to reinstall it if you dont like the "cooling" effect of the open fireplace. Liners are expensive.
Getting a damper for that fireplace is a long shot. Even if they could identify it, its a very long shot the manufacture has a replacement..
Doors are easy, many aftermaket companies sell them. They start around $400.
My recommedation would be to install a fireplace insert, and use the liner. The insert will warm your house, and use wood efficiently without polluting. You are fighting a loosing battle trying to fix up a old zero clearance fireplace.

I agree with msg. Don't waste your time an money trying to get that zero clearance fireplace restored. You would be better off temporarily stiffing some insulation in any gaps and shop for an insert.

Get some measurements of the firebox and flue location and start reading, surfing, and shopping. Good luck, KD

so did the seller take the wood burning stove/insert with him when you bought the house? or did you remove it? If you removed it for one reason or another, I would put it back in, ( if it is not that old). I just had a insert installed in my Majestic zero clearance fireplace and it makes all the difference in the world, all my heat went up the chimney (chase) when I had fires in the zero clearance, but know my small insert actually heats my house

Status
Not open for further replies.