Need help identifying baffle gasket - Jotul F400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hi all,
I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
I took out the baffle on our Jotul F400 Castine for cleaning, and there is a 6 or 7" long flat gasket that went under the sides, which fell out, and is somewhat ripped.
There is difficulty in identifying the correct replacement for this gasket. The manual doesn't list it under the gasket kits (presumably it's not one that gets replaced often) and it's only identification is Item #33 in the Jotul manual. Attached is an image from the manual.

Might anyone know where to locate a replacement?

It's a flat gasket but I think it's unfolded or something. The spot where it rests is no more than 1/2 an inch but the gasket itself, when flat, is about an inch wide.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Attachments

• Jotul Gasket.JPG
    Jotul Gasket.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 405
Yes, it's a thin gasket. It's 5/16" I think and in the Jotul gasket kit. Which you can buy at multiple locations or your dealer.

This might also work

Thanks Begreen but unfortunately I don't think it's in there. The book says it's 7 inches, and doesnt match the list or any of the products I've seen.

The dealer regrettably didn't know either. I might have to call Jotul

Ah, I was thinking gaskets 36 and 37. You're right. I think I would just use some 3/4" wide flat gasket. If you can't locate it, this might work.

Would you recommend folding it over, cutting it in half, or leaving it hang over? The ridge on which it sets is maybe 3/8" wide.
Thanks!

Lots of options. One is to just snip off a short section of the flat gasket provided in the Jotul gasket kit. Or get some of the Hearthstone flat gasket mentioned in post #2. Imperial makes the same kit in 5/8". The same fiberglass tape is made in 3/8" too or 3/4" could be cut in half. Or use a short piece of door glass gasket.

Hi all,
I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
I took out the baffle on our Jotul F400 Castine for cleaning, and there is a 6 or 7" long flat gasket that went under the sides, which fell out, and is somewhat ripped.
There is difficulty in identifying the correct replacement for this gasket. The manual doesn't list it under the gasket kits (presumably it's not one that gets replaced often) and it's only identification is Item #33 in the Jotul manual. Attached is an image from the manual.

Might anyone know where to locate a replacement?

It's a flat gasket but I think it's unfolded or something. The spot where it rests is no more than 1/2 an inch but the gasket itself, when flat, is about an inch wide.

Thanks in advance for any help,

I had the same issue. I bought a Jotul gasket kit online, but the one you refer to wasn't in it. I looked around on the internet but didn't find what I thought to be the correct gasket. Anyway, I found a Jotul dealer (had to ask more than one) who had their installer/service tech pull some from the truck (since it is apparently so unusual that they don't keep it in the parts department) and leave it at the store for me to pick up. I am not sure why this particular gasket is any different from the rest (especially since it fails as much or more often than most others in that stove), but somehow, it is not easily found in documentation or anywhere else. It isn't folded (just runs over a couple of curved areas). It is flat and runs a short (maybe 5" to 7") length on each side of the secondary baffle.

JotulOwner, thank you. Do you happen to recall how wide and thick it was?

Please see below for two images of hopefully substitute gaskets which I installed. How does this look? This is a 3/8 or 1/2 inch round (the kind that is folded over and sticks to itself) and while I thought it may be too thick, it looks like it might work. What do you all think?

The thickness of these did make it more difficult to latch the baffle clamps.

Attachments

• 20190928_110335.jpg
    20190928_110335.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 20190928_110321.jpg
    20190928_110321.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 334
I just spoke to an actual technician from my dealer as the sales associates didn't know the details.

He was able to find specs that I haven't found anywhere online else online:

The gaskets should be 8 inches long, 1/8th inch thick, and 1/4th inch wide.

He doesn't have any and said that's a rare size, but is sending me some alternatives that may work. Out of curosity, I may also see if any place online carries that thickness and width in stock, or perhaps Jotul directly.

I posted some substitutes earlier. The Hearthstone flat gasket should work ok.