Need help figuring out Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SalesSteve

Nov 21, 2020
NJ, USA
HI, first time here. I have a fireplace that from what I am told by the last inspection looks like at some point someone bricked off part of the chimney and the other part I have my boiler and Hot water heater liner running through it. So there is no room to put a liner down the chimney to reopen the fireplace or it would be costly. 95 year old house and they would need to remove the brick / mortar where it is sealed off I guess.

Could I go straight out the back of the firebox with a chimney, double insulated stainless steel or whatever and then run it straight up the outside of the existing chimney anchoring it to the existing chimney? It would run 8-10 feet inside (1 floor) my house and then be outside the house all the way up.

Trying to figure out if I can get a wood burning insert set up or a stove, miss the warmth and smell of wood burning.

Thanks for any advice.

HI, first time here. I have a fireplace that from what I am told by the last inspection looks like at some point someone bricked off part of the chimney and the other part I have my boiler and Hot water heater liner running through it. So there is no room to put a liner down the chimney to reopen the fireplace or it would be costly. 95 year old house and they would need to remove the brick / mortar where it is sealed off I guess.

Could I go straight out the back of the firebox with a chimney, double insulated stainless steel or whatever and then run it straight up the outside of the existing chimney anchoring it to the existing chimney? It would run 8-10 feet inside (1 floor) my house and then be outside the house all the way up.

Trying to figure out if I can get a wood burning insert set up or a stove, miss the warmth and smell of wood burning.

Thanks for any advice.
Some pictures could help

Some pictures could help
Need help figuring out FireplaceNeed help figuring out Fireplace
So here are pictures of the front and back of the fireplace. Right now I have an electric fireplace that I put in to fill the space just for looks, on the back wall half way up there is a spot where it looks like the wall was patched maybe where someone closed off the fireplace. Above the ceiling is the roof no second floor above

Does the stove have to go near the existing chimney? Theres no other spaces in the fit for a stand alone woodstove?
As far as the existing chimney, its been retrofitted to have the boiler chimney or is it a single multi flue chimney (each appliance has its own flue?) you can tell by going on the roof.
I'm personally a free standing woodstove kind of guy, with the thought that an insert would always be a could notches below a free stander as far a performance, then a epa zero clearance fireplace, then a open traditional fireplace.
Perhaps if you have a multi flue chimney it might be desirable to first see if the existing masonry has the proper clearances, since its 95yrs old, its structurally sound, the side of the existing flue (for liner purposes) and then installing a new crock higher up for a woodstove to be installed in front of the old fireplace foot print with a liner.

Does the stove have to go near the existing chimney? Theres no other spaces in the fit for a stand alone woodstove?
As far as the existing chimney, its been retrofitted to have the boiler chimney or is it a single multi flue chimney (each appliance has its own flue?) you can tell by going on the roof.
I'm personally a free standing woodstove kind of guy, with the thought that an insert would always be a could notches below a free stander as far a performance, then a epa zero clearance fireplace, then a open traditional fireplace.
Perhaps if you have a multi flue chimney it might be desirable to first see if the existing masonry has the proper clearances, since its 95yrs old, its structurally sound, the side of the existing flue (for liner purposes) and then installing a new crock higher up for a woodstove to be installed in front of the old fireplace foot print with a liner.
When I had the inspection I was told there was not enough room to get a liner down for the fireplace, both my boiler and water heater come together in the basement and then go straight up in one liner out to the top .