Need Advice on Stove size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sportsman

Jul 31, 2023
Maine
I am looking for some advice on sizing for my house please. I have a Ranch built in 1984 is 26x40 that I added a 2nd floor to one side. The stove will be going into the corner of my living/kitchen/dining room which is 18x25 with cathedral ceiling. Its 16.5 to the collar ties on the cathedral ceiling, I also put in 2 big ceiling fans. I cut a hole into the interior gable end to create a balcony up to the bedrooms from the living room in preparation of adding wood stove in the future. R13 in the 1st floor walls, R19 in second, R30 in cathedral and send floor ceiling.

I am looking to get a stove that throws enough heat that with the ceiling fans can heat the upstairs bedrooms as well. I hope that I provided enough information for you to help me with sizing and maybe some brand recommendations. I will be punching a stack right through the cathedral ceiling so it will be a new chimney. I don't have a ton to spend so either value options or used is my preference. I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Look at stoves in the 2.0 to 2.5 cu ft size range. There are several choices depending on the budget and aesthetic requirements.

Look at stoves in the 2.0 to 2.5 cu ft size range. There are several choices depending on the budget and aesthetic requirements.
Thank you, I grew up with an old massive Fire Boss. I didn’t know what I was looking at with these new stoves.

Drolet is the a good budget friendly brand (Osborn is their next step up). Look for something you can load N/S or cut your own wood so you can load N/S. Jotul F45 is a good but more expensive stove. Pacific Energy is a good brand. With True North being their budget friendly line.

Drolet is the a good budget friendly brand (Osborn is their next step up). Look for something you can load N/S or cut your own wood so you can load N/S. Jotul F45 is a good but more expensive stove. Pacific Energy is a good brand. With True North being their budget friendly line.
Thank you for the response, my family has 300 acres so I will be processing my own wood. We have a couple seasons worth cut already as my father is still running his fire boss.

I came across a guy selling a Dutchwest 2462 with a blower and the stack for $400, would this be a good stove? Seams to meet the size requirements recommended.

I came across a guy selling a Dutchwest 2462 with a blower and the stack for $400, would this be a good stove? Seams to meet the size requirements recommended.
It was a decent stove in its day but the question now is how many hours & years has the stove been in service? If the answer is many, then it is likely due for a rebuild which will negate the savings. At the least, the stove probably needs a new catalyst at around $200. The old piping probably is not worth it if it's the same age as the stove. If the budget is tight, consider the Drolet SparkII at just under $1000. A step up from that would be the Deco II or Escape 1500. In the True North line, look at the TN20.

It was a decent stove in its day but the question now is how many hours & years has the stove been in service? If the answer is many, then it is likely due for a rebuild which will negate the savings. At the least, the stove probably needs a new catalyst at around $200. The old piping probably is not worth it if it's the same age as the stove. If the budget is tight, consider the Drolet SparkII at just under $1000. A step up from that would be the Deco II or Escape 1500. In the True North line, look at the TN20.
Alright will do thank you again for your help.

I was talking to my local hearth place and he mentioned a one season used blaze king sirrocco 20. It’s only listed as a 40,000 Btu furnace would this be big enough and something you would recommend over the others for around the same price? Sorry for all the questions, I’d prefer to do this right the first time.

I have a couple of BK Ashford 30's, about 50% larger than that Sirrocco 20, but built around the same tech. I have one in a room similar to what you describe, and it's honestly overkill for that space. I run it dialed way down to 24 hour burn cycles in winter, and end up running half loads on sunny days and shoulder seasons. I'd guess that, unless you need this thing to heat the entire house on your coldest days, it'd probably be a pretty nice fit for your space. You'd probably run it on 8 hour cycles thru the coldest weeks of winter, but dial it down for longer burns the rest of the heating season.

I'd jump on it, if they're giving you a good price. One thing about stoves is that you're not married to them. Try this, see how it works, and adjust if necessary. I purchased five stoves in the course of three years, and no single swap out took me more than a day of work, after the initial plumbing was in place. Most of the stoves I passed on were sold for roughly what I paid, so no loss, other than a few changes in connector pipe.

Reactions: Sportsman
I was talking to my local hearth place and he mentioned a one season used blaze king sirrocco 20. It’s only listed as a 40,000 Btu furnace would this be big enough and something you would recommend over the others for around the same price? Sorry for all the questions, I’d prefer to do this right the first time.
My two cents… you’ve stepped up to a top end stove. I’d probably spend the extra for the 3.0 cu ft just for the longer burn times. But that depends on your schedules if 12 or 8 hour burn cycles are possible.

Is the tax credit important?

Reactions: Sportsman
The Sirocco being all steel will provide plenty of radiant heat. The Ashords that Ashful mentioned are more convective. When it get cold, the convective nature almost requires the use of blowers to move heat further into the living space. Does the SC20 have the blowers? If not, you might see if you can get them or better yet, get them included!

BKVP

@Sportsman I’m in ME as well. I picked up a good deal on a Jotul F55 so if you’re interested, I can send you the contact details.

Are Jotul parts easy to get? Aren't they made and shipped out of Europe? I've read some not-so-great reviews on their catalytic burners for some models, but I guess they're very good overall, but a bit of caution about them, maybe.... I know Blaze King had a lot of great reviews. I went with Blaze King over Jotul in the end.

The automatic thermostat on my Blaze King Sirrocco 20 is well worth the money, I think. You save a lot of wood having that automatic thermostat, slowly burning your fire. So far, I love my Blaze King. Makes my house so nice and cozy. Ahhhhhhh......

Anyway, best of luck with what you decide and please keep us posted as to what happens. Regard, BC Josh

Are Jotul parts easy to get? Aren't they made and shipped out of Europe? I've read some not-so-great reviews on their catalytic burners for some models, but I guess they're very good overall, but a bit of caution about them, maybe.... I know Blaze King had a lot of great reviews. I went with Blaze King over Jotul in the end.

The automatic thermostat on my Blaze King Sirrocco 20 is well worth the money, I think. You save a lot of wood having that automatic thermostat, slowly burning your fire. So far, I love my Blaze King. Makes my house so nice and cozy. Ahhhhhhh......

Anyway, best of luck with what you decide and please keep us posted as to what happens. Regard, BC Josh
The F35, 45, & 55 are made in Maine. The castings come from Norway. These are all non-catalytic stoves and normally do not need a lot of replacement parts during their lifespan. Only the F500v3 is catalytic.

Reactions: EbS-P and Ashful