Need advice insulating behind my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

24vcummns98

Oct 24, 2015
Northern VA
Hey guys looking for your advice. I have a ideal steel hybrid installed in my unfinished basement. Before burning season this year i am looking to insulate the foundation behind the stove. Was hoping to get your recommendations on how and what to use. I know there is quite a bit of heat that is sucked into that wall and would like to avoid that this year allowing that heat to rise up into the house.

Thanks so much!

Insulating behind the stove is a small start. The entire basement is trying its hardest to suck up all the heat the stove is producing. A basement wants to stay a constant temp, trying to raise or lower that temp is very difficult unless the entire basement wall is insulated. I'm not sure there would be much benefit to only insulating behind the stove?

Ohh. You're description says it's an unfinished basement and you want to insulate behind the stove.
Insulate the wall just the same as the rest of the space assuming you left enough room behind the stove to maintain proper clearances. Why did you insulate all the walls except directly behind the stove?