Need Advice For Circulating Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feverdog71

May 21, 2014
Metamora, IL.
Now that I've remodeled and insulated my basement, I really have a big temp differential. I run that stove on low and my basement stays in the mid 70's while my main floor and upstairs are in the low 60's. I keep the ceiling fans on in the upper levels to draw air up. I have a register in the basement ceiling going to the upstairs. And I have a register in the wall to the main livingroom that has a thermostatically controlled fan. I've had that room up to 85 and the main floor will still be about 65.

I'm thinking about putting a couple more registers in the ceiling, but from what I've read, I'm not sure that is going to help all that much.

Any advice?
Need Advice For Circulating Heat

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a small desk fan or tower fan on the top portion of the steps blowing over the couch towards the stove. This should help getting a loop of air flow going displacing the warmer air either up through the vents or up through the doorway at the top of the stairs. I have one at the bottom of my stairs with a direct shot towards the stove and it made a big difference!

Have you tried reversing the direction of the fan so that it sucks air from the living room and blows it into the stove room?

Did you ever consider adding a coil to your stove? Pretty easy from what I have read, then install a piece of baseboard upstairs.......

Try what Begreen suggested and try different combinations with the fans to get a loop going and see what works best.

I use two methods combined.

Suck air from the basement and dump it in the hallway.

I double suck air from the mud room and blow it into the basement.

As a result the warm air from the basement is pushed into the living quarters.

I have it 21C in the main living space with a cool -22C outside at the moment, I can get it even warmer in the living space if I push the BK.

Or 70F In :: -10F Out.

I crack a window on my upper level after the stove has generated good heat, and without any fans the heat moves right up through my house. The warmer air inside the house keeps positive pressure inside the house, & yes, it's going out the window eventually, it's mid 70 throughout the whole house and we're comfortable.
Note that I have a split level with an open space from once side of the house to the other which I understand could change how this may work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opening an upper window can cause negative pressure in the stove area, particularly if a basement install. Be careful and have a good CO monitor present and active.

Status
Not open for further replies.