Need advice about wood stove insert clearance/safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blackdrum13

Nov 10, 2020
Albrightsville, PA
I recently hired a contractor who sold me an Osburn 2000 insert. He has been to my house a few times to install the stove and each time he said he had to come back. I am starting to question whether or not he is qualified and also very worried about safety. Today I saw the insert for the first time and without even measuring I could tell that it is too big to fit in the fireplace because of how the walls in the fireplace are tapered. His answer to this was that he can install it sticking out of the fireplace. If he does this, the stove will take up all but a few inches of the bottom part of the hearth. Would this be safe? Up to code in PA? Thanks!

Need advice about wood stove insert clearance/safety Need advice about wood stove insert clearance/safety

I recently hired a contractor who sold me an Osburn 2000 insert. He has been to my house a few times to install the stove and each time he said he had to come back. I am starting to question whether or not he is qualified and also very worried about safety. Today I saw the insert for the first time and without even measuring I could tell that it is too big to fit in the fireplace because of how the walls in the fireplace are tapered. His answer to this was that he can install it sticking out of the fireplace. If he does this, the stove will take up all but a few inches of the bottom part of the hearth. Would this be safe? Up to code in PA? Thanks!

View attachment 268783 View attachment 268784
That really looks like an old zero clearance fireplace that was cut up . That is absolutely not to code and completely unsafe. Did this contractor cut up the fireplace? Do you have pictures of it before he started?

That really looks like an old zero clearance fireplace that was cut up . That is absolutely not to code and completely unsafe. Did this contractor cut up the fireplace? Do you have pictures of it before he started?
The contractor didnt do this. I just bought the house about a month ago. There was a very old wood stove in the fireplace that I removed and this is what was revealed once it was removed. So someone cut the stone wall parts and that is why they are just kind of sitting there? Is there ay chance of getting this Osburn 2000 installed safely & up to code?

Last edited:
The contractor didnt do this. I just bought the house about a month ago. There was a very old wood stove in the fireplace that I removed and this is what was revealed once it was removed. So someone cut the stone wall parts and that is why they are just kind of sitting there? Is there ay chance of getting this Osburn 2000 installed safely & up to code?
Not a chance. You don't have a fireplace to put an insert in

so if theoretically, I repaired or replaced the zero clearance fireplace (is that doable?) would I still not be up-to-code as far as the unit sticking out too far? I cant blame the fact that the fireplace is cut up on this contractor but he should have seen this right away and determined the install was not possible, right? At this point I am now worried about getting my $1800 back for the stove.

so if theoretically, I repaired or replaced the zero clearance fireplace (is that doable?) would I still not be up-to-code as far as the unit sticking out too far? I cant blame the fact that the fireplace is cut up on this contractor but he should have seen this right away and determined the install was not possible, right? At this point I am now worried about getting my $1800 back for the stove.
At this point there is no repairing that fireplace. It would need replaced if you are doing that I would just go with a high efficiency fireplace instead of a new fireplace with an insert.

bholler, thanks for the quick replies and advice. could you point me in the right direction as far as where to start researching high efficiency fireplaces? From a quick search, it looks like I will have to spend another couple thousand at least? (I was planning on paying about $4000 for the insert, new chimney liner & installation)

bholler, thanks for the quick replies and advice. could you point me in the right direction as far as where to start researching high efficiency fireplaces? From a quick search, it looks like I will have to spend another couple thousand at least? (I was planning on paying about $4000 for the insert, new chimney liner & installation)
Yeah you can easily spend $10000 on a finished install of a highefficency prefab fireplace. You can also tear it out and go with a freestanding stove and chimney.

The freestanding stove sounds like a viable option but I dont understand how that is different from installing the insert? dont both options need a functional, in-tact fireplace to go in? I obviously have alot of learning to do, thanks again!

The freestanding stove sounds like a viable option but I dont understand how that is different from installing the insert? dont both options need a functional, in-tact fireplace to go in? I obviously have alot of learning to do, thanks again!
No a freestanding stove is freestanding most just need a non-combustible surface under them and a chimney to hook up to. An insert needs to be inserted into a fireplace suitable for an insert which most prefabs are not

No a freestanding stove is freestanding most just need a non-combustible surface under them and a chimney to hook up to. An insert needs to be inserted into a fireplace suitable for an insert which most prefabs are not
Understood, thanks. And if I went w/ the free standing, would the existing chimney need to be ripped out too? Do inserts vs. Standalones require different types of chimneys?

Understood, thanks. And if I went w/ the free standing, would the existing chimney need to be ripped out too? Do inserts vs. Standalones require different types of chimneys?
Yes you would need to tear out the old chimney. Honestly by the looks of it the inner wall is already gone. There is really no part of your setup other than the chase that is salvageable.

An insert goes inside a fireplace with a liner running through the old fireplace flue.

A freestanding stove needs a properly sized class a chimney. That can be a prefab metal chimney or a masonry one.