Need a wood stove for deer camp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am pretty well sold on the Summers Heat "Madison model" , just afraid it will cook me out of the place, but hey you can always open the windows !

Reactions: Ludlow
had a 900 sq ft mobile home for awhile- wood stove about the size of a Nc-13 yep got it a bit to warm once or twice 0 out side, 90+ inside that was bit too warm even for these old bones- opened couple windows. Generally though i would stuff the stove get it up to temp switch it over to the secondaries and go to work most of the time it would be about 60 or a bit more when I got home apx 9-11 hours later- Unlike the current stoves this one has a control for the airflow to the secondaries ( tube type ) which ( sadly imo is missing from the current stoves) was independent from the main air intake. Guess we are not smart enough anymore to be able to handle 2 levels of control at the same time.

Reactions: JimRT
It's good to be cautious with the electric until it has been gone over thoroughly. Make sure fuse ratings match the wire gauge used and look for any evidence of mouse droppings and chewing on wire insulation.

Get the bigger Englander. You will want the extra firebox size for additional BTUs and a longer overnight burn. In milder weather make smaller, hot fires and if necessary, let them burn out.

I am pretty well sold on the Summers Heat "Madison model" , just afraid it will cook me out of the place, but hey you can always open the windows !
In your location I am thinking you have premium hardwoods available. If you don't need a ton of heat, burn softer woods like poplar or pine. If your place is up to temperature and you load the stove full oak, yeah its going to get hot for a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Any idea if Lowes typically puts stoves on sale this time of year ? I don't want to wait long , but will hold off a little to save some some $$$

Watch for a Labor Day sale I guess, but no guarantees. Most of the stove sales are right now or in Feb. when they are clearing out inventory.

Whats your plan for the chimney?

Whats your plan for the chimney?

Honestly my plan is to trust the installer I'm hiring. Its going in the same spot , straight up and out. No 90s or horizontal runs. I have learned how important height is so I will question him on that. He has told me the old pipe can not be reused, and that the new pipe is the majority of the cost of the install. What else should I be asking ?

Honestly my plan is to trust the installer I'm hiring. Its going in the same spot , straight up and out. No 90s or horizontal runs. I have learned how important height is so I will question him on that. He has told me the old pipe can not be reused, and that the new pipe is the majority of the cost of the install. What else should I be asking ?
I am just surprised that he doesn't want to sell you a stove also. He is okay with the chimney project only?

I am just surprised that he doesn't want to sell you a stove also. He is okay with the chimney project only?

Yes , he will demo the old unit and install the new. Told me to go to Lowes and buy a stove ! His business is chimney and stove service. I don't believe he sells stoves at all.

Whatever you do, look for a pedestal stove with ember only floor requirements. Saves a ton (pun intended) of weight, work and expense of a hearth. For a hunting camp I think it is ideal.

Yes, planning on the Summer Heat "Madison" model. Going in on a concrete slab.

Yes, planning on the Summer Heat "Madison" model. Going in on a concrete slab.

Oh, I went back and looked at the photos. A slab is possible I see. You could use any stove.

Well, heading up to camp after work today. I plan, among other things , to open up that fireplace framing and drywall and see what I'm dealing with. Really concerned about the condition of the wall and sill plate behind the fireplace. Need to get whatever needs doing done prior to stove going in.

If you want to make a big difference in comfort and speed of heating up the place, consider insulating or at least isolating the slab. That's a giant heat sink.

If you want to make a big difference in comfort and speed of heating up the place, consider insulating or at least isolating the slab. That's a giant heat sink.
The old floor was rotten. I have removed that, patched any cracks, replaced vapor barrier, put down pressure treated 1x6's for nailers spaced 16 in on center, and laid 3/4 Advantech sheeting over that. Painted the sheething , and now just going to put area rugs over that. The only area that has the old rotten floor is under the old rotten fireplace !

I see, it sounds like the slab would just be under the hearth for the stove then? If so, there is no need to pour a slab for the Madison. It only needs ember protection. A sheet of cement board will do that for you. Tile it to make it fancy.

I see, it sounds like the slab would just be under the hearth for the stove then? If so, there is no need to pour a slab for the Madison. It only needs ember protection. A sheet of cement board will do that for you. Tile it to make it fancy.
Nice,the installer mentioned putting down bluestone

I thought you were pouring slab on grade. If on joist floor then back to what I said before.

Made the purchase today, Summers Heat 2000 from Lowes. Installation in about one month. Will post pics when done. Thanks for all the guidance with this purchase !

So, after a lot of prep work, some planned and most not the new stove is in. I had replaced a rotten floor that was over a concrete slab. I removed the chase that encased the old pfefab fireplace and relocated or removed electrical outlets and switches. After the old fireplace was out, rot was found in the wall behind it, so I rebuilt that. Then some emergency roof repairs were required ( will need major work next year, but that's for another time) We finally were able to have the installers in, they put down 2 slabs of bluestone over the slab and installed stove and chimney. We have had one break in fire so far. I am impressed with the heat output ! Here are some phots that show the progress from beginning to end. The last photo shows my wonderful Mother in Law enjoying a glass of wine, sitting in a rocker and being kept warm and dry by the new stove, this is what I wanted !

Attachments

• stove9.jpg
    stove9.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 119
  • stove7.jpg
    stove7.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 111
  • stove6.jpg
    stove6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 116
  • stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 119
  • stove5.jpg
    stove5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 119
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 111
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 126
  • stove10.jpg
    stove10.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 120
  • stove11.jpg
    stove11.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 116
You are a good son-in-law. Enjoy the warmth!

Well done! And very much appreciated too.

Well done! And very much appreciated too.
Thanks for your, and everyone on the forums input. You folks played a large part in my stove selection and helped me to be a better educated new stove owner.

Now to finish getting wood ready. What's been split is cherry and oak. What is stacked but not split is a mix of ash and cherry.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 93
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 87