neatsfoot oil for leather wood carrier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjg911

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2006
Northwest Connecticut
I bought a leather log carrier about 10 years ago and it's almost as good as new. I use this to bring wood from the woodshed into the house. The leather strap handles are wearing and drying out.

Is neatsfoot oil the best treatment for the handles to keep them from drying out and developing cracks? I have called a few hardware stores but can't find neatsfoot oil. Where to find it? Is there something better?

Any ideas?

Tom

Sno-seal is the best, Wal-Mart or any hunting/outdoor place will have it.

Letting the leather heat up in front of the fire will help it absorb more too.
It drys to a "waxy" finish.
I use it on my boots and the leather is as supple as, well the things in Dean Bs avatar ;)

i wish dean b would post so i can see that avatar! i actually have sno seal. it is so sticky i stopped using it on my boots. i'll give it a try tonight. thanks.

tom

ebay,, i bought a quart on there a few months back, i use it on all my tool belts and bags, not recomended for my red wing goretex boots but on everything else it works great

Any sporting goods store will have an oil for a baseball glove. Probably neatsfoot oil, but, no problem finding it at a place like that. Replaces the natural oils in the leather that has "dried up" making the leather hard and brittle. KD

Try your local tack supply.

As for whips and those coments ...they belong on
some pervert's site....not the hearth.

I used to use mink oil on my baseball glove.

For my leather coat I was told by a leather place to use mineral oil. It seems to work well.

Better to get saddle dressing. Neatsfoot is a water sealer, saddle dressing is a preservative and conditioner. We used to slather NF on hiking boots, but learned the hard way it didn't stop the breakdown of the leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.