Napoleon 1900 thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
I have been looking into a new stove all winter. I am currently running a VC Resolute III, but want to burn more than is capable with this stove. I live in a 2000 sf home in central Michigan, and the Resolute is just old and wont keep a fire overnight. I think with an updated stove I will be able to burn pretty close to 24/7 which would take propane mostly away. I am on a tight budget set by the wife.

I have an opportunity via craigslist to get a 3 yr old Napoleon 1900 with the blower and griddle accessory for $750. Figure that is about half price. Just wanted to see what others on the site have experienced with these stoves. It is rated to heat my size of space just fine, actually even up to 3500 sf it says. So I figure this should do the trip for for my house. Any help you all could give me with this decision would be appreciated. I am also looking into the Englander NC-30, but this seems to be a step up. I think I will be able to get a good $300 from my stove, so makes it a pretty cheap change. Too many decisions, help!!!

Steve

Great deal if it's in good condition. Reports are that this is a very willing stove that can really put out the heat. I would go for it as long as the stove does not show signs of abuse or overfiring.

What are signs that it might not be in good conidition? When I go check out the stove, what are the things that I need to make sure I ask, and look for? Thanks for the help!

Look for things like warped sheet metal, a cracked and deteriorated looking baffle, sagging/split burn tubes, cracked welds, white spots on the surface which should be black, etc.

Well, after four years of use and about 20 cords put through mine, only the fire bricks have needed replacing and the top air intake manifold. Check my other posts for my experience with the 1900. Its a great stove. $750 is a very good deal as mine cost new $1800. Even if your needs parts, they should not cost you more than about $150 worst case. I get all of mine from these people who are the most knowledgable about this stove than any other I have contacted. In fact, you can call them with your questions about the condision of the stove you are about to buy and they will spend hours talking with you. Very easy to work with and a useful resource:

Obadiah's
249 Silver Dr.
Troy, MT 59935
(406) 295-9000
(800) 968-8604

sblattert said:
I have been looking into a new stove all winter. I am currently running a VC Resolute III, but want to burn more than is capable with this stove. I live in a 2000 sf home in central Michigan, and the Resolute is just old and wont keep a fire overnight. I think with an updated stove I will be able to burn pretty close to 24/7 which would take propane mostly away. I am on a tight budget set by the wife.

I have an opportunity via craigslist to get a 3 yr old Napoleon 1900 with the blower and griddle accessory for $750. Figure that is about half price. Just wanted to see what others on the site have experienced with these stoves. It is rated to heat my size of space just fine, actually even up to 3500 sf it says. So I figure this should do the trip for for my house. Any help you all could give me with this decision would be appreciated. I am also looking into the Englander NC-30, but this seems to be a step up. I think I will be able to get a good $300 from my stove, so makes it a pretty cheap change. Too many decisions, help!!!

Steve

So, did you ever buy this stove? How did it work out if you did. I still love mine even after (by now) 30 cords. Btw, my house is 3200 sft and it does the trick.

I did not, the guy sold it from under me. It was a good thing though. I was able to take my time and find a great deal on a slightly used Alderlea T-5. I got it really late in the season and only had a a dozen or so fires in it, but can't wait to be able to burn 24-7 next year.

great! hope it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.