Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer1460

Oct 29, 2015
KY
Hello, I've never had a wood stove but have decided on buying a Napolean 1600. There is a contractor in my area selling new ones for what seems to be a good deal and I have put a deposit on one. He has the
Painted Black Finish and the Porcelain Enamel Majolica Brown Finish. Both are the same price. $1800 . Anyway, obviously the Enamel finish is more attractive but I am wondering what the advantages are either way. The guy selling these claims you could never put any kind of pot or pan on the enamel one because it would be damaged and that its really easy to hurt it but I have no experience with this. I would like to get the pretty one but still occasionaly put a teapot on or whatever on it for fun. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I have an older Napoleon 1400 in plain black and it is our main source of heat. These stoves are a great value and I think you'll enjoy yours. The older Napoleons like mine had an optional cooktop that could replace the trivet. Looking at the current lineup on Napoleon's website it looks like the 1400 has a top lid that can be lifted up to expose a cooktop but I don't see any such feature on the 1600. If you've seen the stove in the store, does anything move on the top?
I took a quick look at the manual for the current 1600 and it looks like there isn't any cooktop option. The existing stove top doesn't actually get that hot so it isn't very suitable for teapots or other pots and pans. There is an air passage between the outer stove top and the part that really gets hot.

Ok, Thanks , that makes sense, not gonna matter much either way then if the top surface doesnt get super hot. These are my choices Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choiceor this
Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choice

I like the mahogany finish personally. Besides looking great, enameled finishes are easier to clean and stay looking great for year given modest care.

x2 proc mahogany espec if same price!! Porc enamels normally 400 or so more dollars.

I just purchased a Napoleon 1400C in the black cast iron finish. I think stove finish may depend also on where it is. Mine is in the fireplace space and the cast iron black looks great. If it was out in the open in a fancy room, then the enamel would look great.

Hello all, I just found this forum. Anyway, I have had the Napoleon 1100C for 10 yrs in a mountain cabin and have the porcelain brown finish. I love it and swear it looks as good now as it did 10 yrs ago. I always put pot of water on it for some added moisture in the air or a coffee pot to keep it warm and never once has it damaged the finish.
Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choice Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choice Napoleon 1600 C Finish Choice

As far as maintaining the finish all I ever do is wipe it down once it's cool, that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.