Napoleon 1402 can blower be wired to manual control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desiderius

Jan 22, 2016
America
I just had a Napoleon 1402 wood stove insert installed in a log cabin I'm moving into. It works great, gets real hot, although it would help if the inside was a few inches larger. It has a double blower (variable speed) that really pumps out heat; the only problem is that it is thermostatically controlled, meaning it turns off and on by itself based on temperature. The only thing is, the cabin is poorly insulated (which is why I got the wood stove in addition to a oil-burning furnace for base heat) so it would be best if I could just leave the blower on while it is hot. However, the blower often turns off despite it being plenty hot. I assume that this is to make sure that too much heat isn't produced in normally well-insulated homes. I'd really like to benefit from having this stove producing as much heat as possible by controlling the blower myself. Is it possible to have the installers rewire it to bypass the thermostatic controller and have it manually operated, or would they not do that because of warranty issues?

I just had a Napoleon 1402 wood stove insert installed in a log cabin I'm moving into. It works great, gets real hot, although it would help if the inside was a few inches larger. It has a double blower (variable speed) that really pumps out heat; the only problem is that it is thermostatically controlled, meaning it turns off and on by itself based on temperature. The only thing is, the cabin is poorly insulated (which is why I got the wood stove in addition to a oil-burning furnace for base heat) so it would be best if I could just leave the blower on while it is hot. However, the blower often turns off despite it being plenty hot. I assume that this is to make sure that too much heat isn't produced in normally well-insulated homes. I'd really like to benefit from having this stove producing as much heat as possible by controlling the blower myself. Is it possible to have the installers rewire it to bypass the thermostatic controller and have it manually operated, or would they not do that because of warranty issues?
The thermostat could be bypassed out of the circuit but first check and make sure the snap switch is being firmly pressed against the stove body. If not, it won't read the stove temp well and could lead to intermittent fan operation.

The thermostat could be bypassed out of the circuit but first check and make sure the snap switch is being firmly pressed against the stove body. If not, it won't read the stove temp well and could lead to intermittent fan operation.
I'll check on that, thanks. But I thought maybe the blower was just designed that way, to not be constantly on even if at operating temp. It was just strange since the stove obviously gets hot enough and stays that way (adding more logs, it really only gets hotter) but it petered on and off as if the temp was going down (obviously not since it keeps switching back on).

The stove fan thermostat goes by stove body temp, not room temp. What temperature is the stove being run at? Are you running it will full loads of wood?

The stove fan thermostat goes by stove body temp, not room temp. What temperature is the stove being run at? Are you running it will full loads of wood?
I know it reads stove temp, I just don't understand why it would go off and on so many times, I doubt the stove temp fluctuates that much. I keep it stocked with wood. I would think as long as the stove is generally hot and blowing hot air out, the blower should stay on.

I have the same stove.What is probably happening is that as your stove temp is dropping the blower turns off at 300 or so.When your blower turns off the stove heats up a bit.When the stove heats up the blower turns back on.

I have the same stove.What is probably happening is that as your stove temp is dropping the blower turns off at 300 or so.When your blower turns off the stove heats up a bit.When the stove heats up the blower turns back on.
It's the blower that drops the stove temp down? So if I keep the blower at a lower speed, it shouldn't turn off as often?

It's the blower that drops the stove temp down? So if I keep the blower at a lower speed, it shouldn't turn off as often?
The blower does drop the stove temp,along with the natural cycle of the burn.Turning the blower down does create a longer burn time for me.All that being said,you will stiill have the on/off blower situation when you get down to the cut on/off temp for the blower-usually around :300 degrees..Either do a reload at this point or turn the blower off or just live with it.Its part of the cycle.

The blower does drop the stove temp,along with the natural cycle of the burn.Turning the blower down does create a longer burn time for me.All that being said,you will stiill have the on/off blower situation when you get down to the cut on/off temp for the blower-usually around :300 degrees..Either do a reload at this point or turn the blower off or just live with it.Its part of the cycle.
I'm wondering if my installer would be willing to wire it so it is manual control. I would have thought that manual override would be a common sense feature.

I have the same stove and my blower does not shut off if i'm using it. It will shut off if stovetop temps drop below a certain degree, as stated above. This will happen if i load the stove at like 10pm before bed, and when i wake up in the AM its usually cycling the fan on/off around 6am as there are only a few coals left. With the blower running, it will cool the stove faster. When the fans cycling, the stove isn't really hot enough for the fan to be much use....

Reactions: mikebinthesky
I'm wondering if my installer would be willing to wire it so it is manual control. I would have thought that manual override would be a common sense feature.
Im sure this can be done.Not sure i would though.I think its kinda nice that i can walk away from it and when its done the blower turns off.Figure it will save a little mileage on the blowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.