Napoleon 1101 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Having read the pros and cons for a bit about the 1101 insert we are likely settled on this insert.... In spite of it being a bit smaller than ideal and in spite of the blower in back concerns expressed by more than one poster we are going with it based on the fireplace opening we are using and the economical price tag on the purchase and install.

Are there any 1101 users out there who have thoughts, advice, photo's tips they would like to suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about the blower being in the back. It is accessed through a panel in the back of the firebox from inside the stove for service and replacement without dragging it out of the fireplace.

Lot easier than mine is to get to.

Thank-you! I will check that out when I am at my suppliers place later this week.

Take out the back bricks and you will see the panel.

My first insert was an 1101. Blower began to malfunction after about a year. Died shortly thereafter and changing it was not easy.....sorry BB. Mine had to be pulled out in order to be changed despite the panel.

Don't know where you live but on days below 35ish it had a hard time keeping things warm - my idea of warm is mid-70's. Lots of coal build up by mid afternoon which meant I had to scoop out coals in order to add more wood. Big waste of fuel. Worked well on 40* and higher days.

After 2 years I traded it out for the Jotul I have now. No problem with heat now and blowers are right in front for easy cleaning and repair, if needed.

You might want to re evaluate your decision and spend more now and save a lot later!

Don't know if you have ever used wood as a primary source of heat or if that is what you are aiming at. For supplemental heat it will probably be sufficient depending on space you are heating and climate. It is also a very easy insert to burn in.

Sorry I wasn't more positive in my response. Just figured I aught to share my experience and maybe save you some grief, and cash, later on.....

BB and Perplexed,

Thank-you for the feedback. The stove has not been purchased yet and I will check into things a bit more.

As the insert is in the installers shop the bricks have not been installed so I will check out the access panel.

Perplexed, yes, I have used wood as a primary heat source but never an insert as such.

For the record my first choice was and is a full on woodstove in an area in our house designed specifically for one that insurance companies have given both me and our WETT installer fits over. It would be a much longer post to describe the nightmare that the insurance company has caused. BUT.... When we purchased a cedar log home and relocated it to our home we did not know that as we were making our deal a similarly contructed, albeit much larger, home in our area was about to have an insurance claim in excess of a million dollars. The WETT certified appliance was tagged as the source of the damage.. Voila..... Surcharge and regulation circus time in our region.

I do appreciate the feedback and will continue to research and to keep you posted.

Check out the Pacific Energy Vista Insert--a small insert with the blower in front. It's a good heater for its size, well-constructed (stainless steel baffle), and easy to run. Mine was about $2,000 with the gold door and trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.