Napolean 1402 hole in firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shhark

Feb 4, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi,
new here but check often for tips. Having issue all of the sudden with smoke coming from behind/underneath my Napolean 1402 insert. Gets worse when I open damper. Cleaned out firebox & removed firebrick to inspect for crack or other issues & found a small hole under corner of latch geometry inside the firebox. Does not look like an intentionally fabricated hole.

Can anyone tell me if this is supposed to be there (see pic)?

If not, would this hole cause my problem & any suggestions on fixing?

Thanks much

Attachments

• Napolean 1402 hole in firebox
    IMG_20190204_122804.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 117
That's an odd one. At first I thought it was a boost air port. As a test, cover it with a small square of sheet metal, or temporarily with some aluminum foil.

But first, check the flue liner and cap for any signs of plugging.

Reactions: Shhark
With fire brick and packed ash over the hole, not much air should get through the hole into the firebox. I wonder if a plugged cap insnt a factor here as well.

With fire brick and packed ash over the hole, not much air should get through the hole into the firebox. I wonder if a plugged cap insnt a factor here as well.
Yes, it looks intentional, like it was to feed a boost air manifold. I can't see the fire in the firebox doing that with firebrick and ash covering it.

thanks all. To be clear there is never any ash over it. The pic may be deceiving as the hole is on the right inside wall directly in the underside of the latch geometry (not on the floor). As best as I can understand from the 1402 manual diagram on how the damper airflow travels... it seems to enter underneath the unit & travel along the front sides to then travel down between the glass in the front door & into the firebox. This hole would be inline with this airflow before it reaches the top or enters the glass & cause a venturi effect sucking exhaust/smoke into that fresh air stream. I'd figure that even if this is happening that it would just follow the airstream circuit back into the firebox but it's likely the damper control & air channels aren't completely sealed airtight so maybe some of this hot smokey exhaust air is escaping once it's pulled in due to pressure differences. I've got a serviceman coming by on Wednesday to have a look at everything... will keep you posted.

If by any chance anyone has a 1402, can you grab a mirror & have a peek at the inside right side, in the corner right under the latch to see if you also have this hole?
Thanks!

hole is on the right inside wall directly in the underside of the latch geometry (not on the floor). As best as I can understand from the 1402 manual diagram on how the damper airflow travels... it seems to enter underneath the unit & travel along the front sides to then travel down between the glass in the front door & into the firebox.
That's what I thought when I read "latch." Interior pre-heating duct feeding the air wash. I don't think that would make the stove smoke. As mentioned earlier, check chimney and cap.

Thanks everyone for advice. Problem solved... creosote plugged cap. After all my investigation & process of elimination, it turned out to be a venting issue just as suggested (as usual).

For last 2 years the chimney sweeps would only go in through the bottom of the flue & never cleaned the cap. I've only been in this house for 2 years so I have no idea how long it had been since previous owners had it done as well. I'm a bit miffed as I not only spent the $ to have things taken care of professionally but I mistakenly thought my system was safe to use. Yikes! Word of advice, always demand your chimney sweep get on the roof to inspect the cap & flue.

Reactions: dBrad
Glad it's safe now! If in doubt, a pair of binoculars can help check out a chimney cap from the nice, safe, ground. Not as good as an inspection, but worthwhile.