Mystery Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

handymandbq

Dec 19, 2019
Dubuque
Hello Everyone:
I have an unusual situation. We have a pellet stove that heats our basement apartment. I moved the stove of the ceramics, cleaned the pipes, reinstalled it and fired it back up. Now it runs for about 10 -12 minutes and then I get an E4 error. If I try to keep running it, then I get an E1. There is a small switch in the upper right corner of the stove in the back that I push to reset and eliminate the E1. Then it will start again, but register the E4.
The issue is, I cannot find the manual that came with the stove, and it has no identification on it to tell me who the manufacturer is. Can anyone look at the pictures below and tell me who the manufacturer of the stove is? We had issues with it a few years ago and I was able to get in touch with their customer support, only via by text. They sent some new parts out, so they were responsive, but it was kind of a pain to get in touch with them. E4 codes have different causes depending on the manufacturer from what I have researched.

Mystery Stove
Mystery Stove

Any help that anyone can give is appreciated. Thank you.

Stove Noob

Looks like an Ashley AP5710.

E4 is ignite failure. When you say it runs, do you get smoke or flame? Or does it just fill the pot with pellets and quit? Please describe more what happens.

I had to replace both thermostat switches on my stove which is similar. The overheat one was loose when new, you walk by and it would stop the stove. The exhaust temp one just wore out.

I would do a search in this forum for this model. Some of these stoves had issues from the factory. I’d point you to threads but I’m on my phone and it’s not so easy.

Last edited:
Manual has a good trouble guide. Read the not lighting trouble shooting along with the E4 trouble shooting. Sounds like Proof of fire switch/low limit switch either got unplugged during cleaning or is bad.

Attachments

• AP5710.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The stove starts and I get good fire out of it once the pellets ignite. However, the strong blower does not kick on, and then it shuts down after about 12 - 14 minutes. I will use the manual to do some troubleshooting this weekend when it gets a bit warmer. I will check the exhaust to make sure it is really cleaned out as it had been working perfectly fine until I took that apart and put it back together. I'll update if I have anything worthwhile to report.

The strong blower you mean the room blower? If that won’t run it will certainly trip the overheat switch on the stove.

Can you manually connect the room blower to a lamp cord with wall plug and see if runs that way? If it won’t run it’s the blower. If it does run then try connecting the wires together that go to the exhaust temperature switch . If that makes the room blower run then clean the exhaust switch or replace it if needed.

I see you said it worked fine before so first check to make sure the connections to everything are good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and the manual. Just wanted to update what I found.
I pulled the proof of fire disc out and noticed it was cracked. To confirm if this was causing the problem I jurry rigged a jumper using an old plug and wire. I connected this to the wires going to the switch to fool the controller into thinking the switch closed.
I’ve been letting the stove start and run for a while, then when the exhaust feels hot I plug the jumper in.
I ordered a replacement piece but it won’t be here for a week. I’m laying flooring down there so I’m just letting it run like this so I don’t freeze while doing it. Hopefully once the new part gets here it will fix the problem.
Mystery Stove
Mystery Stove