My stove(Sabrina) always got dirty glass, why? Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qdcamila

Feb 13, 2016
MO
My stove is Piazzetta Sabrina, when the first day I lighted the stove, I got dirty glass.
I changed the installation as recommend, and change the pellets, no one works.

The glass got dirty after clean and use for 3hours, it's really weird.

And the gasket was burned after I used the stove no more than 200 hours.

I contect the dealer, but he doesn't have good idea, I did everything he said to me, and the problem still there.

So can I know which one know how should I do? Thank you very much.

The stove was install on Jan 22 2016, and I only use it on daytime. Turn on 7am-2pm or 3pm, and turn on again at 6pm, turn off at 9pm. I never use it at night, I'm afraid it not safe, because my kid always says she smell a smoke, I'm not so sure, but for safe, I only use it on daytime.
Even now, the gasket was burned, I could not believe that, becasue the stove works no more than 200 hours.

The funny thing is in my local store who sale "Sabrina", they install the stove just use straight pipe go through the wall, they even use the room fresh air instead of outdoor air. Just like the first picture. And the stove works look good. But it doesn't work on my stove.

Attachments

• My stove(Sabrina) always got dirty glass, why? Thanks
    IMG_9143.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 381
    IMG_9350.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 379
    IMG_9374.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 376
    IMG_9375.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 368
    IMG_9378.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 345
    IMG_9372.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 345
    IMG_9373.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
And one more thing, our locality frequently has high wind, on the high wind day, the stove always alarm and shut down, the dealer told me
'higher up the better for the vent'? But I don't know how? Who can tell me? Thanks

With a high rise you get a better natural draft.. In the case of a loss of power the draft will pull he smoke out of the house.. And the draft will help with wind interference as well

With a high rise you get a better natural draft.. In the case of a loss of power the draft will pull he smoke out of the house.. And the draft will help with wind interference as well
Thank you, I already changed installation(picture 2) ,but the dirty glass still there.

And it shouldn't like that, even I used the stove 3 hours, it's dirty again.

I can't speak for the glass on your stove because I don't own one, but my stove will do the same thing.. Esp running on a lower feed rate.. So the stove is brand new?

My stove is Sabrina, when the first day I lighted the stove, I got dirty glass.

I contect the dealer, but he doesn't have good idea, I did everything he said to me, and the problem still there.

LOOKS LIKE A SEALING PROBLEM ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR

Send Pascal Maertens a message he is the Piazzetta guru on here.

At least it is white/gray coloured and not black soot. Looks like you have a good burn.

I vented out roof because of high winds. Depending on pellet quality, my glass will ash up in 3 hrs or overnight. It never soots completely up, but it does get dirty...

My stove is Sabrina, when the first day I lighted the stove, I got dirty glass.

The Piazzetta is notorious for dusty glass. That's pretty normal, you have the touchdown image on your glass.

I didn't see where the gasket was burned in your pictures, it looks fine.

As for the high wind, which direction is it typically coming from?

I'll guess that it's coming from the direction over the roof, since that is the direction that would typically cause a low-pressure zone below your eave. Your stove shop is probably right and the higher your vent, the less the low-pressure effect. Whomever installed the stove should have asked about the wind. Typically, you'd run your vent 2 to 3 ft above your roofline. However, I might try different configurations with your existing pipe.

LOOKS LIKE A SEALING PROBLEM ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR

Thank you.
But the sealing problem was happened between Feb 9th to Feb12, because on Feb 9th I cleaned the stove, the gasket is normal, but on Feb 12 I cleaned it ,I found the gasket was burned.
Before gasket was burned, the glass was dirty, after gasket was burned, the glass still dirty.

Reactions: Ranger72
The Piazzetta is notorious for dusty glass. That's pretty normal, you have the touchdown image on your glass.

I didn't see where the gasket was burned in your pictures, it looks fine.

As for the high wind, which direction is it typically coming from?

I'll guess that it's coming from the direction over the roof, since that is the direction that would typically cause a low-pressure zone below your eave. Your stove shop is probably right and the higher your vent, the less the low-pressure effect. Whomever installed the stove should have asked about the wind. Typically, you'd run your vent 2 to 3 ft above your roofline. However, I might try different configurations with your existing pipe.

Thank you for reply.
Actually, I don't know the dirty glass is a problem, that's the dealer who I purchased from told me. Then I tried everything he told to me, changed pellets, highed the pipe, but nothing worked.

The funny thing is in my local store who sale "Sabrina", they install the stove just use straight pipe go through the wall, they even use the room fresh air instead of outdoor air. Just like the first picture. And the stove works look good. But it doesn't work on my stove.

About the gasket, yes, it was burned, seriously look,maybe you'll see.

And this stove is new, I let it work no more than 200 hours, I get burned gasket? It's ridiculous.

I vented out roof because of high winds. Depending on pellet quality, my glass will ash up in 3 hrs or overnight. It never soots completely up, but it does get dirty...
:(

The glass will all ways get dirty better to have the glass go white then black and as for the seal being burning I dont think its burnt looks normal to me ..Have you ever had a pellet stove or wood stove in your life?

here is my Ravelli glass after 14hrs. burn time,I know it's not a Piazzetta but it's my 3rd pellet stove and everyone of them has gotten dirty glass overtime.

Piazzetta Monia, okie platinum's 16 hrs burn time.

Wish I could find me some softwoods within a reasonable distance.

The glass will all ways get dirty better to have the glass go white then black and as for the seal being burning I dont think its burnt looks normal to me ..Have you ever had a pellet stove or wood stove in your life?
This is the first stove in my life.

The cleanliness of the glass is a function of pellet type and burn setting. If you burn low ash pellets you can get a little white dusting after a day, but yours is totally normal looking. Burning on higher settings will create a greater air wash effect, but the Piazzettas do not value the appearance of glass as much as some people would like. As I said, your glass looks normal.
Cleaner than ours

The pictures of your gasket also look normal to me. Over time, the heat will turn parts of your gasket a darkish color. That's normal. Unless there's something else going on, it's not at all clear from your pictures which look normal.

The only issue is the high wind creating a low-pressure problem. That really needs on-site evaluation. The comments here, including my own, will only be guesses. However, as I stated earlier, the general thinking is that the wind is rushing over your roof or around the corner of your house, creating a low-pressure area behind it, where your vent pipe is located. This causes your stove to not light. Typically, you eliminate this problem by getting the vent termination into the airflow, and out of the low-pressure area. That usually means 2' to 3' above where your roof meets your eave. And, as I already mentioned, you might want to experiment, going horizontal and pushing your vent termination 3' away. You basically want to get your vent termination out of the low-pressure area, but that can best be determined by actually assessing the situation, on-site. We're just guessing here.

This is the first stove in my life.

I dont want to sound rude but I think your stove is fine and you need to just use it for a bit till you get use to having a pellet stove ..I say this because you have never had one so it seems your kind of nervous witch I dont blame you but in time you will get to know your stove and how it acts it just takes time ...Having a heat source that has fire is way different then any other source of heat and takes time to be able to trust it for the first time .. But really as for the glass getting dirty it looks like its normal and remember the seal is getting squashed between two pieces of steal so it will look different after use and you wont smell smoke after your use to it

Status
Not open for further replies.