My stove produces nice, even heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I just got a new toy and had to use it to test my family room. The attached document is the printout from a temperature/humidity data logger. I purchased it to help me when I do certain inspections and testing in residences.

BUT, I had to test it out on my house first! I always wondered how the temp and humidity changed during a typical day. Turns out, not much at all. In the print out, I loaded the stove 3 times. The logger was about 20 feet from my stove, out of direct line of sight. Pretty amazing how the temperature didn't change much. I would have sworn it ran up and down more. Maybe soapstone is a more "even" heat?! :cheese:

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] My stove produces nice, even heat
    Picture1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 729
If there is anything worse than a cat soapstone owner's brags, it is a cat soapstone owner with proof. :lol:

Love it. Enjoy that puppy.

Neat having it on paper. Thanks for posting.

Clearly this graph shows that "global warming" is a farce! :roll: :lol:

Need... More... Data... :)

Seriously, I'd like to see that graph run for a week or more and know the external temps as well as annotations of stove feedings etc.

I think I would be dangerous if I had toys like that though. I'm bad enough with my manual data logging.

That's pretty stellar! :cheese:

Sure wish mine was that stable. The new windows and siding has helped but wow, you've got it good. Newer home with sprayed in foam insulation or what? Thats impressive.

boostnut said:
Sure wish mine was that stable. The new windows and siding has helped but wow, you've got it good. Newer home with sprayed in foam insulation or what? Thats impressive.

Nope, actually OLD house (105 years). This is in the addition that is 13 years old. Frame walls with stucco. Wood double hung windows (insulated glass).

I'll run this for a longer time. Can't promise annotations about when loading. It is cooling down over the next week, so maybe we'll see a bigger change.

BTW, this thing cost me $39! Bargain?

jdinspector said:
boostnut said:

Ok.. I want one. Was that a one-time deal or is it generally available at that price?

jdinspector said:
boostnut said:

Nope, actually OLD house (105 years). This is in the addition that is 13 years old. Frame walls with stucco. Wood double hung windows (insulated glass).

I'll run this for a longer time. Can't promise annotations about when loading. It is cooling down over the next week, so maybe we'll see a bigger change.

Are you sure it's working correctly? :)

Seriously, have you tried intentionally dropping or raising temps and tracked with a second, accurate thermometer? If the unit does well, I'd consider getting one for our greenhouse. Can the range set to be larger? Some folks like to keep their living rooms in the 90's. :coolcheese:

I'll check the accuracy. I did use it several times where I moved it around my house. I have other areas of the house that are cooler than the family room. I also used it at a client's house to track temp/humidity for a radon gas test. It jumped around at their house. (forced air furnace).

Give me a couple of days. I intentionally let the house cool today (it was over 50 outside) in the afternoon. Problem with this device is once I stop it from logging, I have to erase all data to start again. No way to remove data part way through a period of time. I'll let it run until monday, that will give 3 or 4 full days. Same type of weather the next few days (55 high, 40-ish lows).

By the way, this unit is from http://www.lascarelectronics.com/data-logger/ I bought it from a friend who never used it, but paid about $75 for it. It can log by the minute, 10 minute and hourly (I think) and has storage for an ungodly amount of time (something like 2 weeks if you log by the minute!)

Interesting. Does it need to be plugged into the computer to log or does it just need a 5v supply?

I just looked at the web site. Uh oh. This is gonna cost me a few bucks I can see right now. I have an abundance of Wyse Winterm thin clients with USB and a networked house that were just born for these things.

Check ebay for temp loggers. there are several. some pretty cheap.

BrotherBart said:
I just looked at the web site. Uh oh. This is gonna cost me a few bucks I can see right now. I have an abundance of Wyse Winterm thin clients with USB and a networked house that were just born for these things.

Uh, ....Uh..BB- WTF ae you refering to? Why does anyone need a "Wise Winterworm", and why are they anorexic? If they're a true USB-"United States Burner", then they should have an appetite after cutting amd splitting, right? I don't know anything about a "networked house", but my employers are Mormon, so I'll ask them. This "tech-y" stuff , I may never sleep w/o answers.

Beetle-Kill said:
BrotherBart said:

Uh, ....Uh..BB- WTF ae you refering to? Why does anyone need a "Wise Winterworm", and why are they anorexic? If they're a true USB-"United States Burner", then they should have an appetite after cutting amd splitting, right? I don't know anything about a "networked house", but my employers are Mormon, so I'll ask them. This "tech-y" stuff , I may never sleep w/o answers.

Light the stove. Stay warm. It'll all work out. ;-)

I love this kind of stuff! This is mine from yesterday. Sun came out in the afternoon. I put a small split in the stove at 5am, 7am, 11am, 3pm, and 7pm. We like the house warm, but it really wasn't as warm as the reading says. The temp sensor is up quite high, 6 feet from the floor, and only around the corner from the stove (so does not get radiated heat but gets good convection near the ceiling). Actual average chest-height house temp was around 73°F.

Inside:
[Hearth.com] My stove produces nice, even heat

Outside for comparison:
[Hearth.com] My stove produces nice, even heat

This is an old Radio Shack weather station (1992-ish, wired, not wireless). It hooks up to the computer through the serial port and uses Accuweather software. The wall-mounted display is where the indoor temp sensor is, and that is at eye level.

Ratman said:
These metrics are as much a reflection of the insulation and heat absorbtion of your house.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.