My PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HittinSteel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
After burning a free standing Napoleon 1400 for years, we moved to a new home. Local dealer installed our family Christmas present today, a PE Summit.

My PE Summit

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking setup. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: HittinSteel
You're going to love the beast. You'll quickly forget all about the Napoleon. Good choice, enjoy!

Now you have to do something with that cord LOL. I had same issue, but remedied when I installed new veneer over the existing brickwork. You know, you can also swap the electrical cord to the other side. Get yourself a hearth rug for the floor in front.

Now you have to do something with that cord LOL. I had same issue, but remedied when I installed new veneer over the existing brickwork. You know, you can also swap the electrical cord to the other side. Get yourself a hearth rug for the floor in front.

Thanks for the advice, I have an outlet on both sides but the one on the right is inside the cabinet so I’d have to drill a hole. I’ll definitely look in to moving it to the left!

Thanks for the advice, I have an outlet on both sides but the one on the right is inside the cabinet so I’d have to drill a hole. I’ll definitely look in to moving it to the left!
Yeah, takes a bit of thought as to where to cut/drill etc to hide the wiring. I ended up running new electrical wiring from an outlet box in the adjacent wall, to the floor area, under the new stone veneer and into a lower old vent space from the heatform vent and added an outlet there. The blower cord was then run through a hole I drilled through the brick & masonry behind the insert side shroud, and into the same vent area & plugged into the new outlet.

Interested to hear your feedback on the new Summit unit vs the 1400. I had the Napoleon 1450 and 1402 insert in my last home and now have the PE FP30 in our new home. All of which have been great for me, no major issues. I like the larger firebox on the FP30, makes it easy for larger splits. Also I like the stainless baffle, it has proven to be very durable. We burn mostly hardwood here, lots of Ash lately with the bore making it's way around Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you tear out a heatilator or set it inside the box?

The borer has
Interested to hear your feedback on the new Summit unit vs the 1400. I had the Napoleon 1450 and 1402 insert in my last home and now have the PE FP30 in our new home. All of which have been great for me, no major issues. I like the larger firebox on the FP30, makes it easy for larger splits. Also I like the stainless baffle, it has proven to be very durable. We burn mostly hardwood here, lots of Ash lately with the bore making it's way around Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The borer has killed most of the ash here. I have at least 2 that are dying or dead, and they are near power lines, so the electric co is sending contractors out to cut them down. I'll keep the bulk of the wood of course. Load that puppy up front to back with some nice thick pcs of oak, and see how she shines. Enjoy the heat, you will get plenty.

Not sure who you're asking?
Looks like the OP has a heatform style fireplace. Some folks call them heatilators, though that is a different company and design.

Looks like the OP has a heatform style fireplace. Some folks call them heatilators, though that is a different company and design.
Makes sense. I see the two vents in his photo now. Mine has 4 vents, which I left in place & actually do work still, Cool air in bottom, warm out out top.

Did you tear out a heatilator or set it inside the box?

Just set it inside the heatilator box.... tearing that out would have been a major chore and likely ruined the hearth. Luckily it was plenty big enough to accommodate the Summit.

Makes sense. I see the two vents in his photo now. Mine has 4 vents, which I left in place & actually do work still, Cool air in bottom, warm out out top.

There some pieces of carpet covering the vents on the ground to stop the draft when not in use. I was wondering if I should remove them so the stove can pull air through them.... sounds like the answer is “yes”.

There some pieces of carpet covering the vents on the ground to stop the draft when not in use. I was wondering if I should remove them so the stove can pull air through them.... sounds like the answer is “yes”.

Why not, take the free circulation.

After burning a free standing Napoleon 1400 for years, we moved to a new home. Local dealer installed our family Christmas present today, a PE Summit.

View attachment 236091
So Santa literally dropped your GIFT right down the chimney and just left it there. No need to wrap it either. Works out good for everyone.:cool:

I saw that right off.

The borer has

The borer has killed most of the ash here..

I have the only surviving ash tree that I know of in my front yard. I have spared it from the borer by annually treating it with Bayer Advanced Tree&shrub protect and feed. I only am doing it because the tree shades our porch from the afternoon sun. Otherwise Id just cut it down. The treatment has been working 100% so far. NO disease.

My PE Summit

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the only surviving ash tree that I know of in my front yard. I have spared it from the borer by annually treating it with Bayer Advanced Tree&shrub protect and feed. I only am doing it because the tree shades our porch from the afternoon sun. Otherwise Id just cut it down. The treatment has been working 100% so far. NO disease.

View attachment 236141
I have plenty of trees surrounding me, so I ain't worried about it.