My non-epa insert particulate grams per hour

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Just came back inside from bringing more wood in. No smoke visible from my chimney. I have a 3/8 steel baffle and SS liner (22ft). I realize I`m not getting a secondary burn. But I am curious as to what my particulate output would be per hour? My front mounted thermometer always reads between 300-450. So I never had smoldering fires, and always use well seasoned wood. We also don`t attempt to burn 24/7, but rather 16/7. Any guestimates from those of you in the business? I can also add that we only get the chimney cleaned once every summer-that`s all it has ever needed. My insert is (1985) PE D series.

Someone once stated that the first signs of smoke begins at over 20GPH. Sounds like your burning pretty clean.

Light a fire in it and then go out and check again.

Thanks Todd: I was kinda guessing about 20 grams per hour. And that Brother Bart guy.well he is just jealous cause I only had to pay $20 for my custom cut 3/8 steel baffle. So take that ya old Reb!! :coolsmirk: Best of the season to ya both.

Could be less than 20 grams. I would think that a nice hot fire in a relatively small or medium box might get down as low as 1/2 of that- especially during the attended burns. There were a number of clean burning stoves prior to EPA (Kent, Efel, Le Marquis, etc.) - these designs generally had smaller fire boxes.

Our old Jotul 602 burned very cleanly. I rarely saw smoke once it got going.

Status
Not open for further replies.